Volume Question

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Tgiov

Volume Question

Post by Tgiov »

I have a selection of music and I want to fade the level down for 15 seconds or so, so that dialogue I add can be heard more clearly. Then I want to fade the music back up to where it was originally.

Is that possible with Goldwave and I just haven't found the right command?

Thanks for any help.
DougDbug

Re: Volume Question

Post by DougDbug »

That can be done but it can be a little tricky with GoldWave…

First of course, make sure you have a backup in case things go wrong.

Try Effect -> Volume -> Shape Volume. Just make sure you don't change the end-points of your selection. You can make multiple points to fade-up and fade-down.

...Or, you can make a short selection and Fade Out. (Set the final volume to whatever reduced/fade-level you want.)

Then drag the start marker to the end-marker - The end of the fade-out so no audio is actually selectedf. Without moving the start marker, move the end-marker to the end of the volume reduction. Use Change Volume to bring that selection down (same level as the fade-out).

...I hope that's all correct, and I hope it's clear. But, that should get you going and you'll be safe if you keep a back-up.

Now again, move the start marker to match the end marker. Then drag the end marker to make the fade-up selection. Fade-in with the initial volume set to match the reduced-volume section.
Tgiov

Post by Tgiov »

Thank you!
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

A much better way it to do this is to download Videomeld and put the music in one track and the dialog in another. If you hit the F7 key you will see a blue line appear on each track. This is a "fade" line. Click on it where you want to start the fade and another one where you want to fade up again fade the music. These marks will anchor the two points. Drag the line down to fade. You can put more fade points in to shape the fade area.
Drag the dialog track to where you want and tweak the fade points to how you want. Now save the audio with another name and there you go!! This way you will not destroy the original audio at all. It is well worth spending some time experimenting with this so give it a go, I use it all the time :D . You can now save the combined audio with another name. If the combined audio track is more than a few minutes long, you will have to register it, but if it is only a short track you will be OK. If you think that you might want to re-edit you can save the project and come back to it later.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Voice Over effect in GoldWave does all that automatically. You can find details in the help.