not sure if this goes here...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Kissker

not sure if this goes here...

Post by Kissker »

ok.. Iam trying to use Goldwave with dbpoweramp to somehow make a music file, normally mp3, into a file that STEAM can use to play over counterstrike with HLSS. I know its possible.. but I have no clue what to do or where to start. The reason to use both is dbpoweramp tends to make things distorted and bassy over the game, but Ive heard some music that is perfect, and they say it was GoldWave.. so... help me out if you can
Sarge

Re: not sure if this goes here...

Post by Sarge »

Kissker wrote:ok.. Iam trying to use Goldwave with dbpoweramp to somehow make a music file, normally mp3, into a file that STEAM can use to play over counterstrike with HLSS.
I looked up in various Half Life forums/sites that Half Life uses all .WAV files for their sounds/music so you will have to convert the mp3's into .WAV's

All you would need to do is open up the files you want to convert in GoldWave, and then choose File | Save As. At the bottom of the save box, in the drop down "save as type" box click on .WAV (you can keep the same file name if you choose). That should solve your problem.

There should be no reason that you would need to use dbpoweramp once this step is completed, if what you say above is all you are trying to accomplish. Let me know if it helps at all.

Sarge
Kissker

Post by Kissker »

ok ill give that a try right now, when i converted before, from mp3 to wav, the file increased in size (no biggy) and i had to go from stereo to mono, 8 bit, and 8000 playback, so it will play on steam, Ill do that with GoldWave and see if its just better quality converter.

***Edit****

Its way to bassy.. how can i turn it down. The bass makes it staticy and distorted, just like the other converter.
Kissker

Post by Kissker »

Take any MP3 and try this for me.

Convert it to wav with 8bit, mono, and 8000 as your options (thats the specifics that STEAM requires to play)

Now play it.. see if it sounds too bass or staticy, then try to clean it up, remember, you need LESS bass for this guys ^_^

After you do, send it to me, try to cut it down to 2megs, Kissker@sbcglobal.net

Ill see if it plays, if so, hooray! Ill ask how you did it, if not.. well.. hopefully someone will
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Converting to 8 bit causes a lot of static/hiss noise. Downsampling to 8000Hz dulls the sound, making it seem more bassy. Are you sure you cannot use 16 bit quality instead? That will eliminate the static noise. You may be able to use the Equalizer filter effect to adjust the bass (lower the first few bands).

Chris
Kissker

Post by Kissker »

I can sure try again, but I did in the past and 16 didnt work at all. It was stated in many places, expecially for HLSS (Half Life Sound Source) that it needs 8 bit.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Let's get technical... Why 8-bits will NEVER sound good - :(

A digitized wave is not smooth... it's a series of stair-steps. With 8-bits, you can have a maximum of 256 steps including step-zero (11111111 binary = 255 decimal). A full-power (0dB) wave won't sound that bad... but speech and music are lots of different sounds mixed together. A -20dB sound would only have about 25 steps... This is going to sound rough & noisy!

With 16-bits, you don't get a "higher" wave, You get 65,536 (much smaller) steps (1111111111111111 binary = 65,535). With that much resolution, you can't hear the stair-step effects. (Unless you have a "golden ear." :roll: )

You can see the same dramatic effect if you change your video monitor color-depth to 8-bits (256 colors) from 16-bit (65,535 colors).

The second issue is sample rate. To reproduce the wave, you need at least two samples per cycle (one sample for the positive half of the wave, and one for the negative half). With a sample rate of 8,000 you can't produce a sound frequency greater than 4,000 Hz.

The sample rate also limits the number of stair-steps you can use to re-construct your wave. With a sample-rate of 8,000 you're only getting TWO stair-steps per cycle at 4,000Hz!!! :(
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Doug:

Good reply.

Interestingly if anyone has an old pocket watch try this - the typical wind-up watch tick frequency was about 5,000 Hz - so-called watch tick frequency. It's a rough test for hearing impairment.

Just about anyone with reasonable hearing can hear it.

If all you are getting is 4,000 Hz in your music - it is going to sound pretty bad.

There's an old expression - you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It seems to apply here.

PN