removing lyrics / vocals

GoldWave general discussions and community help
DougDbug

Re: removing lyrics / vocals

Post by DougDbug »

If I just chooce for example cancel vocals - Ok then nothing happend nothing changes
I don't know why nothing happens. You are probably better off sticking with Winamp if you're going to use a Winamp plug-in. But, but for that particular effect you can also try GoldWave's Effect -> Stereo -> Reduce Vocals (dsp_centercut is not required to remove the "center channel").
Could you also give me a few tricks how to mix 2 tracks?
Edit -> Mix.
I might forget something, so please check the GoldWave help file if you have trouble...

First, make backups. (One file is going to get "permanently" mixed-into another.)

- Open both files. Select one of the files and select all.
- Click Copy. (This puts the 1st file into the clipboard).
- Select the other file, and put the start marker at the begining (or wherever you want to start the mix).
- Click Edit -> Mix. (This mixes the clipboard contents into the 2nd file.)
The 2nd file now contains the mixed audio.

After mixing (and before saving), it's a good idea to run Effect -> Volume -> Maximize. This will reduce the volume if necessary to prevent clipping (distorted flat-topped waves.) When you mix, the audio is added together (summed) and this will increase the volume.

The mix dialog box allows you to adjust the volume of the 2nd file (that you're mixing-in), but if you want to adjust the 1st file before mixing, you'll need to do that as a separate step.

Because all I want is for example Mix one Voice to another instrumental. If I try to do that the Instrumental become comepletly weird.
I'm not sure what you mean by "weird"... Sometimes it's hard to describe these things in words... The only thing I can think of that would alter the sound is clipping (distortion). If you reduce the volume before or after mixing (but before saving) that will prevent clipping.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Winamp will output to wav if you go to preferences, plugins, output and select Disk Writer.

The DSP Center Cut plugin works just fine under Goldwave...at least in my previous attempts to use it.

http://musichack.wordpress.com/gw-tutor ... isolation/

that gives a very quick basic overview. if you're getting no changes...are you using a stereo file? If you are...and nothing is still happening...then let me know and i'll maybe investigate the matter further. But I do know the centercut DSP works with the GWAmp plugin.
raggemurre

Post by raggemurre »

THanks alot!! I´ll check this tips as soon as I get home.

What I mean with Weird is Both the vocal's of the singers getting mixed together and in diffirent tempo.
For example I want to have lets say MJ instrumental and for example eminem track.
If I mix these 2 tracks. I´ll hear both instrumental together that sounds "weird".

I would love 1 instrumental + 1 vocal but from diffirent tracks..

Hope u understand what I´m trying to say.
raggemurre

Post by raggemurre »

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4567/gol ... cture6.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9412/gol ... cture7.jpg
Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 5. (sorry for double reply)
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

What I mean with Weird is Both the vocal's of the singers getting mixed together and in diffirent tempo. For example I want to have lets say MJ instrumental and for example eminem track.If I mix these 2 tracks. I´ll hear both instrumental together that sounds "weird".
The tempo shouldn't change when you mix. If the songs don't have exactly same tempo before mixing (which is very unlikley), they won't "line-up" when you mix. The tempo needs to be the same before you mix.

You might also have an issue with pitch/key. If the two tracks are played/sung in different keys, the notes might sound "sour".

And yeah.... It probably sounds weird listening to two different songs at once. Imagine listening to your iPod in one ear and your friend's iPod in the other ear!

There is some good news... You can use Effect -> Time Warp to change the speed/tempo with or without changing the pitch. For short segments, this should be easy, but it might take some trial-and-error to get the timing exactly right and keep both parts in-sync for an entire song.

And, you can use Effect -> Pitch to change the pitch/key without changing the tempo. If you're a musician (and I am not) this probably isnt too hard. If you're not a musician, and if you don't have a tuned instrument to use as a reference, this would be tricky.
I would love 1 instrumental + 1 vocal but from diffirent tracks..
Since we don't have access to the original multitrack recordings from the recording studio, we are stuck doing tricks with left, right and "phantom center" channels.
.. a mp3 file.
FYI - If you have the CDs, it's best to work with WAV files. MP3 is lossy compression, and in theory, you loose quality every time you compress. (The file has to be de-compressed for editing and then re-compressed when you re-save.) If you are going to edit multiple times, it's best to save in WAV format until you're done with all editing, and that way your MP3 will only be compressed twice. Plus, WAV files open and save faster than MP3s.
royalblued

Post by royalblued »

i want remove lyrics and keep vocals. pls help me. show me detail pls
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

FYI - Its usually better to start with a new post rather than bring-back a very old thread. ;)
i want remove lyrics and keep vocals.
What does that mean? Lyrics and vocals are pretty-much the same thing... Lyrics are the words and vocals are the recorded voice.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you can try the Reduce Vocals effect or the Stereo Center effect, or you can try muting the left or right channel.

But, most of the time these effects don't give you "professional" results and sometimes they don't work at all. For example, the Reduce Vocals effect can completely remove vocals that are perfectly centered and identical in both channels, but it removes everything else in the center too (although you can choose to keep centered deep-bass and centered very-high frequencies).
royalblued

Post by royalblued »

sorry! my english so bad. its mean i want to remove the soundtrack. i just want hear all the words with out soundtrack. :mrgreen:
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Try Effect -> Stereo -> Stereo Center and select the Keep Vocals preset.
royalblued

Post by royalblued »

DougDbug wrote:Try Effect -> Stereo -> Stereo Center and select the Keep Vocals preset.
there are nothing change. i still hear the soudtrack and vocals.
i try with reduce music but its same. nothing change.
royalblued

Post by royalblued »

remove vocals done very well. i just only hear the soudtrack. but reduce music done nothing.
Is there any way to split them?
JackA

Re: ?

Post by JackA »

jcloud wrote:what exactly are "ideal situation" that we want?
A "stereo" song, such as these two below, will not work well when removing vocals....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... dances.mp3
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... nunion.mp3

Jack