recording from tape

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Perticelli

recording from tape

Post by Perticelli »

How would i go about taking my cassettes and getting them on my PC using goldwave and saving them as digital files which i can manipulate, etc?

im new, so my apologies if this has been asked..i searched a bit, but didnt find what i needed...;)
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Hook-up your cassette palyer's line-out to your soundcard's LINE-IN or AUX input.

Double-click the Windows Volume Control to bring-up the mixer. Go to OPTIONS, select RECORD, and make sure that the LINE-IN or AUX is selected.

In GoldWave, Click NEW to create a new blank file. You can set the sample rate, etc., and you can set the time-length of the file. (You can use the default-length and select "Unbounded" later.)

Click Tools->Controls. ...Finally, you wil see the red RECORD button!!! You can right-click the Record button to set the file-length to unbounded.
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

that's it? wow, that sounds easy..and i been puttin it off for a loooonnnggg time!

btw, what is the sampling rate and how will it affect what i transfer?

i assume its a "quality" issue..?

thx so much, what a great piece of software and a great support forum!
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

The sampling rate of Cd's is 44100 Hz, then if you plan to burn CD's, it is the best value. If you want to do only mp3's and if you have no system to compensate lost high frequencies (exciter or enhancer), 22050 Hz can be enough for cassette tapes type I, II(*) or III, at the condition to use the same sampling rate in the mp3. For metal cassette tapes (type iV) keep 44100.
The highest frequency that can be heard will be the half of the sampling rate. The conversion from a sampling rate to another one generates unwanted harmonics, except with complicate algorythms, who are very slooooow. So better use directly the final one. If you really are not sure, use 44100 Hz.

(*) With a professional player, like a tascam, on type II, 44100 Hz is better, because it extracts more high frequencies from the tapes, I stated sometimes until 17 kHz.
Gloup? :-°