Volume Matching Improvement Suggestion

GoldWave general discussions and community help
ts72

Volume Matching Improvement Suggestion

Post by ts72 »

I am new to this forum so I hope I haven't overlooked this topic/suggestion. I was wondering if you (Goldwave) could adjust a feature for some of us. I love the ability to match files volumes, but have one small (probably anal) gripe. For example: take a file that has current average values under the match volume command as follows:

Left: -15.75dB
Right: -14.25dB

Matching to -14dB would give the following values:

Left: -15.50dB
Right: -14.00dB

Seems to me that -14 should average both L and R so the values look like this:

L: -14.75
R: -13.25

In otherwords, (L + R)/2 = Average -or- -14.00 in this case.

Matching files works great when th volume avg is similar in each channel. But the above example isn't close without multiple tweaks. Just a suggestion for those of us who do multiple file batches.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Volume Matching Improvement Suggestion

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If the average between channels is used as you described, the peak level in one channel may be exceed the maximum, resulting in clipping. Also neither of the channels will have the specified average.

The way it works now, at least one of the channels will have the specified average and no clipping occurs (if the peak levels are not red). The Stereo | MaxMatch effect can be used to balance the channels, if necessary.

Chris
Perticelli

Post by Perticelli »

so when i have pieced together a bunch of tracks and some VO and they all are slightly different in volume range, i can uise this festuire to smke threm all the same level?

that would be great
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Perticelli wrote:so when i have pieced together a bunch of tracks and some VO and they all are slightly different in volume range, i can uise this festuire to smke threm all the same level?
Yup, thats what Chris is saying (at least with equaling/balancing out the channels). Sounds like you're getting the hang of things pretty quickly. :wink:

Sarge