Windows Media Player Question

GoldWave general discussions and community help
holtram

Windows Media Player Question

Post by holtram »

This is not specifically a Goldwave question, but I want to run Media Player to record into Goldwave on my computer at work. I need to start the process from my home computer (both computers using XP Professional) using VPN to connect to my office LAN. Everything seems to start ok, but it seems that when I "disconnect" from my work computer (I don't log off, just disconnect), Media Player will stop playing.

Goldwave happily keeps on recording but WMP has stopped. I have seen sporadic references to this other places on the web, but I know there is a high level of general technical expertise on this forum and somebody may have a solution?

Thanks!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Windows Media Player Question

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure the file you are playing is stored locally on the computer's hard drive that is running Windows Media Player. If you are streaming audio over the network, then you'll need to keep the network connection to play the entire file.

Chris
holtram

Post by holtram »

Thanks Chris,

Yes, it's a local file. I've heard a lot of things, such as SP2 "broke" the functionality of Media Player being started remotely but who knows. I appreciate the input and thanks for your great product.
holtram

Post by holtram »

As an update to this post, I just installed Media Player 11 and tried the same method - remote desktop in while playing with Media Player and recording with Goldwave.

For whatever reason (hopefully a fix to WMP 11), the playback did not halt and the recording continued to the end so with any luck the problem is solved....