Goldwave running in background

GoldWave general discussions and community help
edwinn

Goldwave running in background

Post by edwinn »

Have been using Goldwave more, recently. For the past two nights (Sat & Sun) when shutting Win2000.. GW tasks have been hanging in the background and must be `end task'd´ before Win will shut down.

Had run both the CD capture and Batch Conversion from FLAC to MP3.. both which seemed to run ok. I recall having such issues previously and shy'd away from GW. What could be hanging in the background? An op that was cancelled? How can it be diagnosed?

Really like GW...

-edwinn
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Goldwave running in background

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

That seems to be related to a sound driver problem. I have not seen the problem first hand, so I cannot be certain what the actual cause is. Updating your sound and video drivers may help. Posting the brand of sound card and video card you have might be useful if others are having the same problem.

Chris
edwinn

Post by edwinn »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:That seems to be related to a sound driver problem. I have not seen the problem first hand, so I cannot be certain what the actual cause is. Updating your sound and video drivers may help. Posting the brand of sound card and video card you have might be useful if others are having the same problem.

Chris
Thanks for the reply. To be more specific, there was ONE Goldwave session to `end´ on Sat night, and THREE sessions to `end´ on Sun night when shutting down Win2k. I did some tests today to see what causes it to `hang´ but when watching, it doesn't seem to happen. :)

The audio card is: Creative Sound Blaster Live Value, Creative EMU10K1 Audio Processor (WDM) on IRQ 17.

The driver is: Emu10Kx Audio [E8E0]
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0252 (English)

-edwinn
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

I too have this problem, intermittently. Save as MP3, manual or batch, is not sufficient to cause it.

Sound and Video device info is:

C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Driver Provider: C-Media Inc.
Driver Date: 21-04-2004
Driver Version: 5.12.1.44

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 04-11-2005
Driver Version: 8.1.9.4
edwinn

Post by edwinn »

chrisjj wrote:I too have this problem, intermittently. Save as MP3, manual or batch, is not sufficient to cause it.
It happens nearly all the time.. Goldwave hangs in the background after closing it, even from opening WAV files and playing them. The solution is to set-up a Task Manager icon in the task bar and pop that open. Then check for and kill Goldwave after you get thru working.

I like Goldwave but will stop short of recommending it until the bug is corrected. Keep up the good work.. and Goldwave is great for sound editing!!

-edwinn
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

It would be good if we could find out what particular operation causes this. since my report above, I have had no recurrence, and have used only WAV, MP3 adn WMA, not FLAC.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I still have not been able to duplicate it either. Until I can, there is no way to track down what might be causing it. Also make note of what other software you are using while GoldWave is running. Other software may be putting the sound driver in an unstable state, preventing GoldWave from closing normally.

Chris