File merge tool options

GoldWave general discussions and community help
holtram

File merge tool options

Post by holtram »

I have a need which I don't think can be done in Goldwave, but I'm not sure. Anyway if not, I know there's a lot of general audio knowledge on this forum and someone may know of a tool which can help me.

I have say 300 mp3 tracks and I need to concatenate them in pairs so I wind up with 150 tracks. I need to concatenate files 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, etc.

Obviously I could do this manually with Goldwave's file merge tool, and I've seen many other manual merge tools out there, but what I really need is a command line process so that I can set up a .bat file using copy/paste to get the process accomplished.

Can be done with Goldwave? Any other help from the audiophiles? Thanks for any help with probably a dumb question.
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

i dont fully understand what you are asking....but the batch processing chain command are pretty versitile....did you look through there?
holtram

Post by holtram »

Thanks for the reply, Togglehead -

I did look at the batch processing functionality of Goldwave (which you're right is pretty extensive) but could not see anywhere that you could specify file merge as an option. I'm assuming that means the command line file merge is not possible, but I know what's happened to me before when I've assumed....!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: File merge tool options

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

There is no automatic way to pair files together in GoldWave. Since you are working with MP3 files, you can use simple (but crude) file concatenation to join files using the command prompt:

Code: Select all

copy /B file1.mp3 + file2.mp3 file1and2.mp3
Chris
holtram

Post by holtram »

Generally when you reply to one of my posts I like to leave that as the last one since then other users know that there has been a definitive reply, but in this case I had to break my "rule".

Your suggestion is absolutely perfect for what I want. I've tested creating a .bat file where my first statement sets the directory (cd "C:\" etc.) and then is followed just by multiple copy statements which can remain the same every time, just commenting out the ones I don't want based on number of files I have to join.

One odd thing, the "Duration" column of windows explorer does not update with the combined duration of the 2 files, rather it retains the duration of the first file in the copy.

Anyway, this is terrific, no quality loss, thanks so much!!