GW bails out mid job!!

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Rocker

GW bails out mid job!!

Post by Rocker »

Hi,
I go to tools > CD Reader > select all the tracks of a CD > Save and the rip is under way.
After getting succcessfully to say track 10 (out of 15), GW stops and gives an an error or closes.
What's wrong please?
R

System
GW 5.13
WIN XP
280 GI
500 MB RAM
Rocker
Sydney Australia
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You've probably got a bad or damaged CD.

The error correction in CD players will hide/correct most errors when playing, but most ripping software is less tolerant. The audio error correction software in you computer's CD drive is apparently bypassed when you do a digital rip.

Try Exact Audio Copy (FREE !!!). It has some error correction, and it may work with your CD.

If all else fails, you may have to make an analog copy (digital-to-analog-to-digital). Or, if you know somebody else who has a copy, borrow it.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

Rocker:

I think Doug has nailed it.

When ripping, try selecting just the first ten or so songs that seem to work.

Then just select the one that seems to be causing the problem. If it is one song that is corrupt, then with trial and error it can be flagged.

If a different song is the culprit each time, then check your installation of GW (reinstall), and then check your system.

PN
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: GW bails out mid job!!

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you are saving tracks in MP3 format, try saving in uncompressed (16 bit) Wave format instead to see if that works. If not, what is the error?

Chris
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by Windows XP. I also run on XP. Goldwave, along with many other programs, crash all the time. It's extremely annoying. My brother had the same problem. When he looked it up, he saw that others had the same problem as well. One guy posted that once he changed to Windows 2000, all problems were gone. No more "Send Error Report" messages. I can't wait to go back to Windows 2000.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

XP hasn't presented any problems that I am aware of in four years - it's on two computers with Goldwave.

If anyone is serious about using the computer for music, then this site is a must:

http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

PN