Sound window tied to position during playback

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dschwab

Sound window tied to position during playback

Post by dschwab »

I've changed something in my configuration but can't figure what.

Used to be, if I were had a 10-second view to my sound file and playing it, I could scroll to any 10-second portion, regardless of where the current playback position marker was. If the position marker was in the 10-second porition being viewed, then it would just go off the screen when it passed this 10-second 'frame'.

Now, when the current position reaches the end of my 10-second frame, it scrolls to the next 10 seconds - my view into the sound file is now tied to the position marker during playback, and it automatically scrolls with the position marker. If I try to move the slider to scroll to a new portion of the file, it simply snaps the view to the 10 second window starting at the current playback position. I can only position my view to an arbitrary area of the sound file if I stop (not just pause) playback.

Any pointers on what I need to change to get back to the previous behavior?

Thanks
holtram

Post by holtram »

It may not be something this simple, but check the "Scroll Lock" key on your keyboard. If the scroll lock key is on, the window will always show the playing position when playback is active, just like the behavior you are descibing.

Hope this helps!
dschwab

Scroll Lock key the culprit

Post by dschwab »

Thanks - it was the scroll lock key that was the culprit. This is embarrassing! In over 20 years of using PCs, I've never consciously used scroll lock or noted its effects on any application.
holtram

Post by holtram »

No need to feel embarrassed! I agree, it's one of those keys you can accidentally whack and never notice it in 99% of applications. Goldwave's use of it can be quite handy though, but even when I know it's on I will find myself trying to position outside the scroll window.

Cheers!