Change volume:"Could not write to file.No storage avail

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mattad

Change volume:"Could not write to file.No storage avail

Post by mattad »

I loaded successfully a long sound track (approx 300 MB) into GW 5.14 (under WinXP+SP2)

Then I started to Change the volume by approx 600% at a Maximum and another time at Medium priority.

After a while (2 minutes of estimated 6 Minutes) I got an error popup:

"Could not write to file. No storage available or device not ready".

and the process aborted.

Hmm, I cannot believe this. On partition C: and on partition D:
(where GW and pagefile.sys is installed) are more than 2 GB free.
Hence memory space can not be the problem. On the other hand the computer and the hard disc work find as usual. Hence a device error shouldn't be the problem as well.

What is the problem?

Could GW give me some more detailed information (in future releases)?
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

The storage is the problem, because Goldwave works files in 32 Bit and keeps the information for undoing, two reasons that makes the temporary file much bigger than the original.
Gloup? :-°
Togglehead

Post by Togglehead »

i would move some data around.....i work with huge soundfiles too, and without at least 5GB free (for the temp file drive) i get the same error.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Change volume:"Could not write to file.No storage a

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A 300MB 16 bit Wave file will require 600MB of temporary storage for processing since GoldWave uses 32 bit data. Unless the number of Undo levels is set much lower (use Options | Storage to change that), then every effect precessed will require another 600MB of storage. You can use the Effect Chain Editor tool to process several effects in a single pass.

If the 300MB file is compressed (MP3, WMA, etc.), then much more storage will be needed. 2GB would not be enough.

Chris