Can i use goldwave to split mpg stream of a song?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jadi368

Can i use goldwave to split mpg stream of a song?

Post by jadi368 »

Can goldwave split mpg stream of a song, meaning if i want to have the music separate and the song separate
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

:?: WHAT?
...mpg stream of a song...
GoldWave can be used to "capture" and record streams comming over the Internet. Is that what you want to do?
...to have the music separate and the song separate...
GoldWave has a Reduce Vocals tool, which attempts to remove the vocals, leaving instruments. Is that what you wan to do? It does this by subtracting left from right, which eliminates any "center channel" sounds (sounds that are identical in both channels).

There is no good way to remove the instruments and leave the vocals. But, there is a WinAmp plug-in that attempts it.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Can i use goldwave to split mpg stream of a song?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you can open the MPG file in Windows Media Player, then you may be able to open it in GoldWave. I'm not sure what you mean by separating the music and the song. Do you want to separate the music and the lyrics/vocals?

Chris
jadi368

Post by jadi368 »

i want to have the music removed from the song and keep the vocals
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Like I said, this canot be done perfectly. I've never tried it, but here are the plug-ins that are supposed to do it:
GWAmp here (GoldWave).
dsp_centercut here (WinAmp).
(I think you need to use both plug-ins.)

You can use the forum's search tool to search for "vocals", and you will find more discussion. You can start by taking a look at this post.
jadi368

Post by jadi368 »

yes i have tried the plug-in but it didnt work on the song,(i heard it only works on some songs) could u explain a little more about the left - right wave stuff, i think that might work, im kinda confused, or if there is any other software that can do it please let me know
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

In many cases, the vocals are recorded exactly on the center of the recording, then the signal of the voice is perfectly equal in both left and right channels. Then, you can remove them by adding the left channel and the inverted right channel. That will neutralize the signal of everything who is exactly on the center.

But there are cases where it doesn't work: if the voice has been taken in a real stereo soundtake with two microphones, if it has not been mixed exactly on center, if there is an effect like flanger or chorus in stereo, and that will also keep the reverb of the voice, the reverb is always in stereo (with rare exception of some recordings of the seventies); some remnants also if it comes from an old degraded stereo tape, or too much compressed mp3 files because of the compression degradations.

Furthermore, by the channel substraction you cancel more than the voice, you cancel all the instruments that are placed on center, in most of the cases you cancel also the bass line.

The center extraction is soething I use also, but only for restroration purpose, on monaural records. however, it is logical that if you extract the center from the signal with a plug-in or any software or hardware, it extracts the voice but keeps also all the instruments placed on center. In the cases listed above as not working for voice cancellation, you should expect a noticeable degradation of the quality. And in all cases, you will get a voice without any reverb, so you'll have to re-create it if you want something sounding like what you heard in the original.

None of these effects can work with a recording of monaural origin (even if converted to stereo, who is actually a fake stereo).
Gloup? :-°
jadi368

Post by jadi368 »

could u tell me how to do that i mean add the left to right or subtract it, watever u said i had to do. im new to this stuff
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

To remove vocals: Effetcts // Mix Channels // Preset=Cancel vocals

For the sides removal, I have no idea about the procedure for this case, using an algorhythm made for noise removal, not for music removal, and furthermore, it isn't in Goldwave.
Gloup? :-°