The Right Audio School

GoldWave general discussions and community help
jdeligiannis

The Right Audio School

Post by jdeligiannis »

This isn't exactly an inquiry about Goldwave, but I think I could get good help here.

I'm interested in studying audio production. Job types that are of interest would be (1) editing the audio on films or tv series, and/or (2) mastering audio on songs (this one requires more schooling I assume).

Based on experience, can anyone make recommendations on Universities, preferably in Southern California, that offer a degree in audio that would qualify me for such positions?

Maybe some of you professionals can explain what it is you do in the audio field, and where you went to school. Thanks.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Well... I'm not an audio professional, so don't give my comments too much weight. :D (I worked for a small sound & lighting company when I was in college.),
...recommendations on Universities...
I think you're on the right track there. Be very careful about "trade schools". A lot of trade schools are really in the business of collecting student-loan money. You might learn a lot, have a lot of fun, and get your hands on some really nice equipment and software, but it's unlikely to lead to a job or career. :(

I don't think you will find a university degree in "audio production", or anything that specific. But, I'll bet UCLA has a major that will allow you to "concentrate" or specialize in audio. When I was in college, I was a DJ on the college radio station, and I made quite a few "commercials". (Actually, non-commercial "spots" and PSAs.)

All show business is "tough". You can get a degree in acting, directing, or music, but that doesn't mean you can make a living at it. And, you can be extremely successful without any formal education or training! You do need skill or talent and good contacts! :roll: School is just one place you can acquire skills.

Try to get some experience. Volunteer to help-out with the audio for a community theatre, church, or for a band. Better yet, get a paying-job as a "sound man" for a band. Or, find a student filmmaker and help with the audio, etc. If you do go to a university, the opportunity work with other students is probably as valuable as class time. When I was in high school, I was in the "sound crew". We were the geeks who set-up microphones and PA systems.

If you already live in the LA area, there's a lot of "activity" in music, film, theatre, etc. to get involved in. ...I almost forgot about theme parks... There's a ship-load of audio at a theme park!
jdeligiannis

Post by jdeligiannis »

Thanks for the input.

How about editing audio for TV shows? Isn't that a job class of it's own, or does the video editor do that too?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't really know what the organizational structure looks like, but audio is usually a separate specialty. If you look at the credits at the end of a TV show or movie, you'll probably see one or more audio credits.

It's going to depend on the size of the production (budget) and the type of production. The editing for a sitcom, game show, and reality show will all be different. Reality shows must be really good news for A/V editors.... They shoot hours & hours of footage!

Of course, there's one person (probably the director) in charge of both the audio and video editing. He/she is telling the A/V editors exactly what he/she wants.

For big-studio movies, most of the dialog is re-recorded in a recording studio. (It's hard to get studio-quality sound "on location".) Then, you have the background music soundtrack and foley (sound effects). Each of these is a major production! And, they all have to be combined in the final stereo and surround-sound mix!