Newbie question...

GoldWave general discussions and community help
canuckhockey09

Newbie question...

Post by canuckhockey09 »

I just recently started using Goldwave and I was just wondering if someone could help me out with this little project I'm working on. I want to add the noise of a crowd cheering as background music to a particular song. Somewhat like it sounds after a goal at NHL games. I'm sure there is a way to do this but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks alot.
holtram

Newbie question...

Post by holtram »

You can do this by opening both your audio streams in Goldwave, then select the "crowd noise" audio or section of crowd noise that you want to mix in. Do an Edit>Copy to save the section.

Select your song window and put your insert point where you want the crowd noise to begin or perhaps at the beginning or wherever. Then select Edit>Mix to mix the two streams.

Experiment with the volume levels and you should be able to get your desired effect.
canuckhockey09

Post by canuckhockey09 »

Thanks alot.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Right!

Make sure you save a copy of the original song!
(Or, use Save-As to save the modified file with a new name.) Once you save the mixed file, you can't un-mix it!!!

You may want to fade-in and fade-out the crowd noise file before you mix it, if it doesn't sound natural already. You will probably want a quick fade-in (maybe 100 milliseconds* or less), and a longer fade-out. If your cheering sample is too long, you can fade it out at the "correct" time.

If your cheering sample is not long enough, you can mix the cheering into the song more than once, overlapping the pervious cheering each time. You'll want to use longer fade-ins and fade-outs where the cheering overlaps, so that you don't notice the "splice".

You could also create one big-long "cheering file" that's about the same length of the song, by mixing & overlapping the sound over-and-over. (The crossfade tool would work for that too.) And, you can use volume shaping to make the cheering loud at some points and quiet (or silent) at other points.

Also, the mixing of the two sounds may result in clipping (distortion) if they exceed 0dB when combined. To prevent this, run GoldWave's Maximize tool after mixing and before saving. This will set the peak(s) to exactly 0dB. (GoldWave can temporarily hold values above 0dB, but the peaks will be chopped-off if you save it to a normal WAV file.)

* 100ms = 1/10th of a second, just in case you're not used to working in the millisecond-world. :wink: