LP Recording and Restoration

GoldWave general discussions and community help
The Bean

LP Recording and Restoration

Post by The Bean »

I've been using Goldwave to restore old records that I have and find that by using noise reduction and pop/click removal. However I was wondering if there is a way to remove the hiss/high speed crackle that can be heard on really old recordings (pre 1950's) when the volume gets above a certain point. The sound is similar to clipping but not as it can be heard on the record itself sometimes in only one channel. A few times I've managed to get rid of it with a really good noise reduction but not always.

Also is there any plans for volume-level activated recording cutting. Something similar to B's Recorder GOLD 'Direct Cut' function that can detect the end of a song on the cassette or record and cut the audio file into individual songs and also detect the end of a recording by the lack of audio. This crucial in saving time when preparing songs for CD to get the tracks right.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

...really old recordings (pre 1950's)... sometimes in only one channel.
I assume these are mono recordings. In that case, you can choose the best "channel", or maybe even cross-fade back and forth between the best sounding channel as needed. (In the end, you'll need a "stereo" file (two identical channels) to make a CD.)

If the defect is in both channels, I don't have any suggestions for you.
Blandine Catastrophe

Post by Blandine Catastrophe »

For these kind of recordings, I use DePopper which has filters for big clicks, small pops, hiss noise, and the possibility to extract the center. Sometimes, the center extraction improves the distorsion aspect, sometimes not, it depends on each individual track and on the angle of the stylus on the record when playing (and also the height of the arm, if you have this setting on your turntable).
Gloup? :-°
The Bean

Post by The Bean »

The old recordings are in mono and when playing them I use the mono switch on the Record Pre-Amp. However when the recordings are stereo it is only ever one channel that causes problems. The problem really isn't anything to do with damage to the records as I wash and clean them with carbon fibre brush's as well as cleaning the record needle. The sound is really linked in to the recording when certain waveforms become too loud. An idea that I have to cause of the noise is that perhaps when clipping occurs on records, due to physical space constraints on the size of the groove it produces a unique effect different to digital and cassette clipping.