Folders won't stay in order

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Tonedeaf

Post by Tonedeaf »

I've been Goldwave user for approx 3 yrs,and have had zero problems with the program till now.A couple nights ago,I noticed after opening my music folder while in the goldwave window,the files were no longer in order (by letter).If opened from the desktop,no problem.I've tried using the "sort by" option,but if the window is closed,then reopened,the files are no longer in order (it seems to want to put the last file opened at the end of the line).I just tried uninstalling,then reinstalling goldwave,but no change.I've also noticed some of the song titles in the files have turned blue.I'd installed version 5.14 a few months back with no problems.Anybody run into this before? Thanks for any help!
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Sounds like your folders & icons might be damaged. Get TweakUI & see if its Repair options help you.
Stiiv
Tonedeaf

tweakUI didn't help

Post by Tonedeaf »

Stiiv,Thanks for the tip about tweakui,but the problem is still occuring.I did notice that when my music folder is opened from the desktop,and the window is opened that allows you to change the arrangement (by name,by size,etc),there is a dot by the selected type.When opened through Goldwave,however.there is no dot by any of the types.If one type is selected,the dot will not appear,however the folders will arrange themselves.But when the window is closed,then reopened,the files are jumbled up again (the icons I,ve given the differant folders are staying with the correct folders-this was never the problem).It's a small problem, but it bugs me every time I open the window. Thanks for any suggestions Michael
holtram

Post by holtram »

Sounds like you have some very strange stuff going on, Tonedeaf. I'm not sure about the jumbling, but I do know that compressed or encrypted files on an NTFS system can show up in blue (there's an option in Windows explorer to have them in color or not).

Just for the record, I don't have a dot by the sort by option in my Goldwave window either so I don't think that necessarily indicates a problem.

I guess I'm wondering whether you've done some sort of system "clean up" lately which often includes file compression, maybe that didn't work properly. I really have no idea. But you might try right-clicking one of the blue colored file names, click "Properties" then the "Advanced" button. See if either the compress or encrypt options are selected. If so, uncheck and OK to see if the blue color goes away.

I'll leave it up to the PC firmware gurus to maybe have an opinion on the possibility that your file system has somehow become messed up.

Good luck with this and I hope the answer winds up being simple....
Tonedeaf

compression was part of the problem

Post by Tonedeaf »

holtram,I opened the blue files,and found that the compress option was checked. After unchecking them,the file name color changed back to black. (I still don't know why they were checked in the first place,but thanks for providing a place to look).I'm still dealing with the jumbled folders when opening my music folder in Goldwave (it puts whatever file was used last at the end of the column,no matter what "sort as" button is selected). Michael
holtram

Post by holtram »

Hi Tonedeaf:

Ok, here's the only way I could manage to duplicate what's happening to you. I opened my music folder using Windows, put it in order by size (just to jumble it) then selected Tools -> Folder Options -> View and clicked the "Apply to All Folders" button. Then all my folders when opened in Windows or Goldwave were in jumbled size order.

But - when in Windows I opened one folder and selected sort by name it sorted by name and remembered (but only for that folder) so that it opened in name order every time. In Goldwave however it still opened jumbled, seems to default back to the "All folders" setting every time rather than remembering how a particular folder was last opened.

At any rate, what I would try is open your music folder in Windows, be sure it's arranged by name, then do the Tools -> Folder Options -> View and do the Apply to All Folders. Then see if Goldwave will start opening your folder in name order again.

Hope this helps...
Tonedeaf

problem is fixed!!

Post by Tonedeaf »

holtram, thank you for your suggestions with the problems I've been having.After making the changes,the darn folders are now staying in order (even when opened in Goldwave).Thanks again for helping me out Michael
johnpwiles

YESSSSS!!!!

Post by johnpwiles »

Thank you tonedeaf, holtram and anyone else. This same problem has been nagging me and NOW it is FIXED!!

Thanks again for the post :D

This also fixed the same problem I have been having in Multiquence, just an FYI.