Could not write to file. No storage available or device . .

GoldWave general discussions and community help
pcbogert

Post by pcbogert »

This is the message I get when trying to open a 454 meg mp3 file. I am trying to open it to split it into sections.

I have a P4 2.6, 512 of memory and a large HD as storage. Any suggestions?
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

Go to Options/Storage. Do you have "RAM" or "Hard drive" selected for temp storage? A huge mp3 will decompress to multi-gigs, so use the hard drive for temp storage.
Stiiv
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Could not write to file. No storage available or device

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

As Stiiv mentioned, a 454MB MP3 file could require well over 4GB of temporary storage. Only Windows 2000/XP on an NTFS formatted hard drive can handle such large files. You may need to use a dedicated MP3 splitter program to divide that file.

Chris
chiphart

Post by chiphart »

...I've had this same problem and anything I can do to fix it doesn't seem to work. My Temp stuff is shuttled to a drive with > 80GB free (for a ~100MB mp3). I watch as the tmp file gets created and I watch the available RAM, but nothing comes close to running out...has anyone else seen this problem before?

[I'm really hoping it doesn't make a difference, but I'm running under Win4Lin via RedHat Fedora Core 2; it should change anything, but perhaps it is.]

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

How big does the tmp file get? Is it close to 2GB or 4GB? If so, you may be hitting a file system limit or a limit in Win4Lin. GoldWave v4.26 will only handle 2GB tmp files, but v5 is limited only by the OS and file system. Do you have any trouble opening smaller MP3 files (50MB or less)?

Chris
overlind

"Not enough memory" error

Post by overlind »

I've had a similar problem opening a 120 MB MP3 file (1hr stereo 256kbps @ 44.1 kHz). Actually, I can open/deflash it to memory, but it can't complete something like maximizing the volume. As a WAV file, this audio should take up about 600MB I'm guessing.

I had 2GB RAM in the system and have increased to 4GB so I can avoid the performance loss of writing to disk. My pagefile is 5.5GB, but I still get the "not enough memory" error. I'm running XP Pro with NTFS, so I shouldn't have the 2GB file size limit of FAT32. I'm suspecting a limitation on process memory allocation by XP. Multiple copies of Goldwave 5.10 can be run simultaneously, but none of the processes will go over 2GB without the error. It does spill over into virtual memory with each additional process so I know that Windows is handling the large memory size.

Does this sound probable as the source of the problem, or is there something within Goldwave that limits the amount of RAM it can access? Could this be a 32bit vs. 64bit Windows limitation?

Right now, I'm either having to process the two halves of the MP3 files separately or use the HD for temp storage.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

David
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: "Not enough memory" error

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

For RAM storage, Windows has about a 2GB address space limit per process. That is something the 64 bit generation will solve, but you'd need a 64 bit processor, a 64 bit version of Windows, and a 64 bit version of GoldWave (that is at least a year or two away).

Chris