5.08 with 98lite

GoldWave general discussions and community help
G6JPG

5.08 with 98lite

Post by G6JPG »

Just thought I'd share mty experience. I use Windows 98lite - i. e. Windows 98 with all the frills (graduated colour title bars, web-like appearance, and other things you can't live without) removed. Part of this process involves the substitution of SHELL32.DLL from Windows 95.

Goldwave 5.08 (and I think 5.06) makes a call to a routine only in the later shell32.dll file :( .

[b]First[/b]: I tried replacing the file (in Windows\System IIRR, from DOS mode) with the '98 one; Windows wouldn't boot (obviously the lite-ing process did more than just substitute files).

[b]Second[/b]: I tried putting the '98 shell32.dll into the GoldWave directory. Still failed to run.

[b]Finally[/b]: I put that shell32.dll into the GoldWave directory, but renamed it (to shell32.w98, though I think anything would have done), and amended GOLDWAVE.EXE [with a hex editor] such that the references to it (I found two such) were amended in the same way. It now works!

Hope this is useful to someone. (_Might_ even make it work under '95, if you use the '98 shell32.dll, but there may be other things ...)