VST Effects

GoldWave general discussions and community help
aftermath

VST Effects

Post by aftermath »

Just wondering what the status of native support for VST effects in GoldWave is. I know this has been requested and been considered for years. For me the lack of this feature it is the only thing that forces me to use other audio editors every now and then. So yet again: please please pretty please add support for VST effects....

(I know about DX-VST wrappers but I generally don't like this solution)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: VST Effects

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Direct VST support is currently on hold. With a few exceptions the existing wrappers (for Winamp or DirectX) seem to be working for most people. Since VST support would be added via a GoldWave plug-in similar to the way DirectX is supported, the advangate over the existing wrappers wouldn't be that significant.

Chris
aftermath

Post by aftermath »

What not add the support natively to GoldWave? With the demise of DirectX plugins VST is the defacto standard (for PCs) anyway.
nuvolablu

Post by nuvolablu »

IT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I have not been following the growth of VST recently. Seems I may have to reconsider.

Chris
nuvolablu

Post by nuvolablu »

GOOOD"!!!!!!!
aftermath

Post by aftermath »

That is indeed fantastic news!
dhanjit

Post by dhanjit »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:I have not been following the growth of VST recently. Seems I may have to reconsider.

Chris
8)

Thank you.
karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer »

VST effects are indeed the industry standard and any pro audio application today loads them in just fine.

This is my first foray into Goldwave, but I really like what I see.

Funny enough, in 5.20 of Goldwave, I was able to load in 95% of my vst effects - so somehow they are working (unless they are also DirectX - to that end I have no idea).

VST fx capability would be a really fantastic addition to Goldwave's massive feature set.

Mike
C R E A T I V I T Y
towerofbabel

Post by towerofbabel »

I am going to chime in with a typical first post, and say that the only thing that has held me back from purchasing goldwave is the lack of native VST support.

I do remember the time when DX and VST were competing standards, but for at least 2 years or more the cold war is over and VST controls the new world order in native DAW land.

Please - VST support, so I can stop using a combination of three different freeware audio editors, and also stop wondering if/when I will fork out $600 for wavelab just so I can use my VST plug-ins for sample editing. 8)

Apart from that, I am quite happy indeed with the featureset and ease of use in goldwave.
Vonbrucken

Post by Vonbrucken »

+1
Tried loading vst through Winamp VST bridge but it has crashed every time i tried it :(
btw the GUI of te vst loads fine but it is when i press ok that it crashes
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

VST support is probably about 44% of the reason I use audition as much as i do.

the biggest problem with the wrappers is thier implmentation isn't always foolproof. i've got a VST wrapper for winamp that supports a few things..but it's prone to crashing with certin plugins...the only thing i've ever been able to run successfully is SuperImpulseResponse and a few of the Bluetubes plugins.

there's also the lovely realtime dsp stacking called mastering rack..which is different than batch processing since you're able to preview all your effects in realtime..provided you've got the cpu power.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

I think DirectX is still a viable platform for plugins & virtual instruments; it's become marginalized only because it's Windows-dependent. Unfortunately, Macs still rule the roost in the studio, for better or worse... :P

Rhetorical question, a little OT: Mac devotees try to paint Bill Gates as the antichrist, but doesn't Steve Jobs remind you of Damien from "The Omen", all grown up? :twisted:
Stiiv
aftermath

Post by aftermath »

Stiiv wrote:I think DirectX is still a viable platform for plugins & virtual instruments; it's become marginalized only because it's Windows-dependent.
There are other reasons as well. Microsoft has declared that the DirectX plugin standard will not be actively be developed anymore. Sure, it will still be supported for some time to come but It'll die sooner or later. Relatively few new plugins are released in the DirectX standard and even Cakewalk Sonar which had DirectX plugins as its native (and only) plugin format for years supports VST nowadays. Cubase, which supported DirectX plugins as well as its native VST format has dropped DirectX support completely.

DirectX is dead.
Vonbrucken

Post by Vonbrucken »

is Goldwave written in Delphi ?
Because if it is the case you should look there for the VST delphi SDK :
http://www.axiworld.be/vst.html
VST support should be cool