Splitting 1 long recording session into tracks

GoldWave general discussions and community help
BBTN

Splitting 1 long recording session into tracks

Post by BBTN »

I help to make a Talking Newspaper for the visually impaired by recording up to 30 minutes of people continuously reading items from a local paper. I use Goldwave to make the recording and subsequently Nero to burn CDs.

How do I split the recording into a separate track for each item as it is read so that the listener can easily go to separate items?

I have tried putting 'Cue Points' in by pressing Control+Q just before each new reader starts the next item. At the end of the 30 minute session I tried Tools>Options>Split file but I only got the message 'Track 001.wav' exists and cannot be overwritten. The recording is not subdivided into separate tracks.

To make it easier to produce the recording it is important that the division into separate tracks is done on the fly whilst the recording continues.
ck010898

Post by ck010898 »

try selecting the portion of the recording you'd like to be track one.
(click on the beginning and the end of the section so the desired section and ONLY this section are highlighted in blue)

then, go to FILE - SAVE SELECTION AS and name this selection (perhaps "track 1") and assign the destination folder.

Now you've got a WAV file that can be utilized like any other audio track... for playback, CD burning or whatever else.

if you'd like an mp3, do the same steps, but in the prompt where you'd name the file, down the bottom, there's a field marked "save as type". Here, you can select alternate formats. The second one down is called MPEGaudio... and that's what you want for an mp3.

the CUE points you've been experimenting with can be very useful for the marking off the exact moments that you'd like to call the begining and end of each section. Once you have a cue point in the right spot, you can right click on these cues and select "set start marker" or "set finish marker" to more quickly highlight exactly what you're about to "save selection as".
holtram

Watch split file naming

Post by holtram »

If you can wait until a 30 minute session is done before splitting, then you should be able to use the cue points. After setting the cues and selecting "split file" pay attention to the "Method of naming split files" section. You also have a check box which will allow you to overwrite existing files but just being careful with the naming is the safest thing.

I usually use the "Use base filename and number" option where in the base filename box you could put whatever you want as a title, then use the # signs as place-holders for the split numbers. For example you could put "Session 20070619 800am ###" into the field and you would get individual files with the ### replaced with sequential numbers.

Hopefully this is of use to you..
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Splitting 1 long recording session into tracks

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

To avoid the "overwrite" message, be sure to check the "Overwrite existing files" box on the Split File window.

It is best not to try to split the file during recording. You can set cue points at any time and split the file when recording is finished.

Chris
BBTN

Post by BBTN »

Thank you for all the advice.
Problem now solved.