M4A files not opening in GW after 7.3.1.3 itunes update

GoldWave general discussions and community help
65CJ5

M4A files not opening in GW after 7.3.1.3 itunes update

Post by 65CJ5 »

Anyone else have a problem opening m4a (itunes) files in GW 5.20 after latest itunes update? I was able to open m4a files in GW before the last update to itunes. Looks like itunes 7.3.0.54 is the last one that still works. I tried updating to itunes 7.3.1.3 and that one won't allow GW to process/open the m4a files anymore (at least for me). It's probably the quicktime itself causing trouble but I only upgrade qt when I do itunes. I removed the newer version and went back to 7.3.0.54 and GW opens m4a's again.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

I have the last iTunes update. Golswave still opens ancient m4a files on my side. But I didn't try to open files encoded with the last version of iTunes, I recently switched to mp3 encoding for other software compatibilities problems (not related to Goldwave).
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: M4A files not opening in GW after 7.3.1.3 itunes update

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

It turns out there is a compatibility problem with the latest QuickTime/iTunes modules and GoldWave. I've already tracked down the problem, so it will be fixed in the next update (or I may just update the QTFile plug-in on the website).

Chris
JackH

Post by JackH »

Speaking of the m4a format, is there a way to add it to GoldWave's list of supported formats, so that *.m4a files will appear in open/save dialogs when "supported files" is chosen?
65CJ5

Post by 65CJ5 »

Kummel: I hadn't really thought about it but going to MP3 as the itunes import default makes sense. Then I won't have problems with conversion later.

Chris: Thanks for looking at it.

JackH: *.m4a files show up in my GW 5.20 open dialogs. Although I don't see that file extension listed as such, they are part of the "Quick Time Audio (*.mov) <QTFile>" filetype/plugin.

They do not appear to be an option in the save dialogs, although you could import into itunes and then convert to AAC format which should give you an m4a file in the itunes folder.

Stan
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I've updated the QTFile plugin, which should solve the problem.

If you have GoldWave v5.20 or the QTFile plug-in installed, M4A files are listed in the Open window (provided QuickTime is installed). GoldWave does not support saving in MP4/M4A format yet, so that type is not listed in the Save As window.

Chris
JackH

Post by JackH »

If you have GoldWave v5.20 or the QTFile plug-in installed, M4A files are listed in the Open window (provided QuickTime is installed).
That's not happening here... I have GW 5.20, the latest QTFile plug-in, and QuickTime installed, and still I don't see .m4a files in the Open window unless I choose "all files" instead of "supported files."

The files do open correctly, so it's not a tremendous problem, but it is inconvenient.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Try selecting the "QuickTime Audio" file type on the Open Sound window. That should list all .mov, .m4a, and .mp4 files.

Chris
JackH

Post by JackH »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Try selecting the "QuickTime Audio" file type on the Open Sound window. That should list all .mov, .m4a, and .mp4 files.
Just tried this... It shows .mov files only -- not .m4a or .mp4.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I don't know why that is not working on your computer. Maybe the .m4a and .mp4 file types are not registered. Installing QuickTime should have registered them.

Chris
JackH

Post by JackH »

In checking, I found that .m4a files were associated with Real Player. Changing them to iTunes or QuickTime mode no difference. I also re-installed QuickTime, and it's still the same.

It's really no big deal, but I guess this will have to remain a mystery.