Silence Reduction

GoldWave general discussions and community help
BlackStar

Silence Reduction

Post by BlackStar »

The last question turned out to be an oversight on my part. Problem solved and greatly appreciated.

Perhaps this one can be this easy as well.

The Silence Reduction option offers a "threshold" setting and a "reduce to length" setting. I think I would call what I need a "reduce by percentage" setting.

For example, the breaks in a spoken word recording might all be of different lengths, and they need to remain different, but it would be better if they were all shorter. If I could select, for example, "reduce by 10%" then the silences would all shrink a little. The result would be an over all shortening of the track, but the variance in lenght of the silent portions would all still be different and still sound natural. If a percentage is a programing challenge, a choice of "reduce by (amount of time) if longer than (amount of time)" would work well.

If they all became ".25 seconds" long it would sound odd.

Thanks for any offers of assistance,
Steve
holtram

Post by holtram »

I agree that this would be a nice enhancement to the silence reduction feature and if not too hard to implement it would be very useful.
TinPanFan

Post by TinPanFan »

I had never thought of this, but I too agree that it would be very useful. In many voice editing applications a fixed (e.g., 0.25-sec) silence is just the thing to compact slow speaking - but it also cuts natural pauses (like end of sentences) too much.

I'd like to see this option implemented if possible.