how to convert a male voice into a female voice

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Jasmine312

how to convert a male voice into a female voice

Post by Jasmine312 »

how to convert a male voice into a female voice?
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

It's almost impossible. You can try to change slightly the pitch, but that will sound unnatural. Several tries will be necessary to find something that sounds more female without to sound like a cartoon.

Unlike what believe the majority of people, there isn't a so huge difference of 'tune' between male and female voices, it is more a question of timber, of articulation and of manner to stress/unstress syllabs than a mere pitch difference. Some female singers can sing lower notes than some male singers who have naturally a high pitched voice. I'm barytone, and Amanda Lears sings lower notes than me, and nobody believes that she's a man when they hear her to sing. It's the same also for speech.
:D
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

Not to be an ass, but the only way to effectively do this is to have a female re-voice the project.

Emmett
laserbean

Post by laserbean »

I both agree and disagree with Kummel to a certain extent. tombre /timbre of the male voice can vary widely, and some males convert well to female with a pitch change.
Whether or not this is useful to you depends on your application and your process, i.e. if you have access to a number of male voices that can be used or discarded to create the female, you have a shot. I suggest you pitch them all up a bit while maintaining your rate and you may get lucky.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

There are DX plugins that do a very adequate job of altering pitch & formants to make a male sound like a female, & vice versa. Changing just the pitch makes the voice sound like it's coming out of a tiny little man; the formants, which give a voice the timbre, or tonal quality as discussed above are the difference between awful & far less awful in this case.

Check out Waves & Hyperprism for effective pitch/formant plugs.
Stiiv