Cursors in 5.22

GoldWave general discussions and community help
holtram

Cursors in 5.22

Post by holtram »

5.22 is great, I like the silence reduction features.

Just a couple of things:

Is there a way to turn off the persistent cursor?

Also, it seems like on playback the window automatically locks to the cursor position which used to be controllable using the scroll lock key. Now the playback (and possibly record? haven't tried that yet) is automatically as though the scroll lock key is on and can't be changed - is it possible to re-enable the scroll lock key toggle?

Thanks for listening Chris and great job on the new release!
abletec

Post by abletec »

Hi

If u look in the control properties under the "play" tab, you'll find a whole lot of options u can choose for the green & yellow buttons. Sounds like right now, your option is set to cursor. I personally love that cuz when u hit spacebar, it stops playback & starts it where u left off, which is typical, actually, of most sound editing programs. But if u want/need 2 change it, knock yourself out!

Also, when you've got a file opened, under view menu, there's an option called "autoscrolllock". If it's checked & u don't like it, try unchecking it & see if that doesn't resolve your issue.

But this is wonderful for those of us who find it disconcerting to hit spacebar to stop playback, then hit it again only to discover that playback starts at the beginning of the file. I am *so* much happier w/it now & I'm glad I invested my money in its development.
holtram

Post by holtram »

Thanks abletec - yes the auto scroll-lock function does help, that will teach me to poke around a little more before whining! When I turned it off, though, the scroll lock key still didn't work as a toggle and it seems it should - or not, maybe it's by design. Basically the scroll lock key doesn't seem to do anything anymore and all is controlled by the drop-down.

I actually had my "play" option set to "selection" for both yellow and green, and either works fine for me. I guess the main thing I noticed with the persistent cursor is that the drop cue function drops it at the cursor instead of at the start selection point. I guess that's why I'd like to be able to turn off the persistency(?), so that the drop cue function would work like before...

Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Scroll Lock key cannot be used easily on some laptop keyboards, so Ctrl+L is used instead. You can reassign it to another key by using the new Options | Keyboard command (but Scroll Lock will not work as a shortcut key).

One thing that may help when setting cue points is to use the Home key. That will move the cursor to the start marker so the cue point is dropped there. The cursor will likely be draggable in a future update. You can right-click in the sound window and choose "Set Playback Cursor" to move it now.

Chris
Gauss256

Post by Gauss256 »

These are all good improvements, even if I do have to retrain my fingers a little bit!

One wish list item: I would really love a way to drop two cue points at once, one at the beginning and one at the end of the current selection.

Bruce