Getting rid of fading volume?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
BenGray737

Getting rid of fading volume?

Post by BenGray737 »

I am using GoldWave 4.66. Is there any way to level out fading volume? I have looked through the help contents and several options in the edit and effects menu but can't find anything that works. Help greatly appreciated. :)

--- Ben.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

First, I will warn you that when you increase the volume, you will also increase the background noise and distortion.

There are several ways to address this -

Effect -> Volume -> Change. Simply select a section of the file, and increase the volume by a set amount. This will create a sudden jump in volume, which might be OK for spoken voice if you change the volume between sentences, but it will mess-up music.

Effect -> Volume -> Shape. This will allow you to ramp-up or ramp-down the volume over a selection. The trick is to leave the ends of the selection unchanged for a smooth adjustment.

Effect -> Compressor/Expander -> (presets) -> Boost Quiet Parts. Compression evens-out the sound by reducing the volume of loud parts and/or increasing the volume of quiet parts.

The optional GW Voice Plug-in includes an Auto Gain feature to keep the volume constant.
BenGray737

Post by BenGray737 »

I have no 'boost quiet parts' preset in the version I am using. Could you tell me the diameters for the preset please? The link to download the evaluation version of the plug-in you mentioned doesn't seem to work.
Also, quick correction, I am using version 4.26, not 4.66.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Could you tell me the diameters for the preset please?
Multiplier 3.0 dB
Threshold -15dB
Attack 0.100 Seconds
Release 0.100 Seconds
- Expander*
- Anticipate Attack
- Use Smoother

That's just a starting-point, you can experiment with the settings from there.

The link to download the evaluation version of the plug-in you mentioned doesn't seem to work.
My link doesn't work? Or, the actual download link? I just tried both of them and the are working for me, at the moment.

The URL for the plug-ins page is: http://www.goldwave.com/plugins.php Or, there is a "Plug-Ins" link on the GoldWave home page.

* GoldWave calls this expansion, but I consider it compression, since it reduces (compresses) dynamic range.
BenGray737

Post by BenGray737 »

I downloaded the latest version of GoldWave just to do this, as well as the plug in. This doesn't quite seem to do the job for me. Although I can see it does make a visual difference to the sound waves.

I'm literally looking to eliminate the fading so that the song plays loud and clear to the very end of what was recorded. It would be nice if there was a way to do it in version 4, too, but thank you for your help so far. Any other suggestions?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm literally looking to eliminate the fading so that the song plays loud and clear to the very end of what was recorded.
If your trying to un-do the (normal-intentional) fade-out at the end of a song, volume shaping should do the trick.

The automatic adjustments (compression & automatic gain control) are likely to have side effects. The side effects might be worth it if you need to make hundreds of adjustments. But, for a few volume-adjustments, you are better-off taking manual control.

Or, you can look for a different audio editor with a "rubber band" volume control. This is a very common feature in audio editors. It's similar to GoldWave's Volume Shaping, but it can be applied more easily to the entire recording, or to a large section, and you can make lots of adjustments. A rubber band control is displayed as a volume control graph (usually displayed below the waveform). You can click & drag the graph, sort-of like you are stretching a rubber band.

I believe Audicaty (FREE!!!) has a rubber band control, but they call it an "Envelope Editor".
Envelope editor lets you adjust the relative volume of tracks over time.
BenGray737

Post by BenGray737 »

I did try volume shaping, as well as using the plug in you suggested, but all it really seemed to do was nudge the volume up.

Was I right in simply taking the end of the line and moving it to the top of the grid so that I have a straight diagonal line moving upward left to right, or were there some particular settings that needed to be made?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

:oops: You're right!!! Volume shaping does not have enough range. I've only used it to reduce the volume, and I didn't realize that you can increase the volume by only 150% (about 3dB). I think you'll have to find a different program.
BenGray737

Post by BenGray737 »

Alright, thanks anyway. Maybe this could be an update for the next version of GoldWave. Wink wink nudge nudge. :P
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

In 5.22, the volume shape can be set up to 200%
:D