Cursor 'ghost' remains after playback is stopped

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Stiiv

Cursor 'ghost' remains after playback is stopped

Post by Stiiv »

I'm running GW 5.22 (thanks for keeping GW compatible with WinME, Chris!), & there's one change that's annoying me...

When I start playback, the playback cursor (which now shimmers as it travels across the waveform) scrolls through the file, as always, but when playback is stopped, a white line remains at the point where playback was stopped. Obviously, this isn't a big concern, but it just bothers me. :roll:

I checked GW setup & Options, but I see nothing related to this. Is there any way to 'correct' this admittedly-very-minor problem?
Stiiv
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

Not a bug, the cursor remains in order to restart at this position. «Cursor» has been added to the playback button options.
:D
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, Kummel....mainly because playback does not resume at the "ghost cursor" position! :wink: I use the "old" editing style, & when I stop playback, the "actual" cursor returns to the beginning of the file, as always. Also, I don't see any "cursor" option in the playback button tab. (maybe because I've disabled OpenGL?) Thanks for the quick response, though.
Stiiv
65CJ5

Post by 65CJ5 »

I'm getting the same thing and was wondering about this too.
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

From http://goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2267:
That is not a bug. That is part of the new persistent playback cursor and keyboard navigation design.
"That's not a bug, that's a feature!" lol

I can live with it if I must, but I'd prefer to have the option of turning it off. Maybe for the next update?
Stiiv
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

"That's not a bug, that's a feature!" lol

I can live with it if I must, but I'd prefer to have the option of turning it off. Maybe for the next update?
Yep - me too also.

There is probably a good reason to have it available and there may be some who use it and like it - but I ain't one of 'em.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The persistent cursor seems to be causing some confusion with long time GoldWave users. More than a few people have reported it as a bug. Removing it now is not an option since it is important for accessibility and some new features planned for the future (like a dictation mode).

One option being considered is to shrink the cursor when playback stops so that it is just a short line at the bottom of the window and not so prominent. And the pulsating effect will be removed completely.

Chris
Stiiv

Post by Stiiv »

the pulsating effect will be removed completely.
Thanks. I use GW so often, for so many different projects, that looking at that iridescent cursor all day might bring on an acid flashback. :wink:
Stiiv
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Hey Chris -

Goldwave is the best. Those of us who use it frequently and look at it for long periods of time are accustomed to what we have been seeing for a long time and something new just seems a bit odd. I am sure that I will get used to it and it will no longer seem strange.

I am in touch with other voiceover people and frequently advise them to try Goldwave - especially when they start complaining about the difficulties they experience with overly complex multi track programs that no one really understands.