Automatic Silence Insertions

GoldWave general discussions and community help
audioman

Automatic Silence Insertions

Post by audioman »

Hello,
I'm wondering if there is any way to insert silences at the start cue-points in a large file --- other than having to enter silences at each start cue-point individually.
Is there a global setting that can be used to automatically perform this?
Thanks for any help!
Fred
holtram

Insert silence at cue point

Post by holtram »

I think this would work. Depending on the size of your file and number of cue points this might take longer than doing individually (it's pretty quick to copy a desired length of silence then repeat Next Cue/Paste especially if you set up your toolbar for it), but at least it's not as manual:

First SAVE your original file.

Then do a split file, to save each cue-pointed segment, preferably in wav format.

Next select File -> Batch Processing and under the Process tab, click the Add Edit button. This brings up a dialog where you can drop down the edit command to select insert silence and indicate the length of the silence. By default the silence is added at the beginning of the file.

Then add the split files to the batch process and run the process. You can select overwrite or store in different folder, whatever you like in the Folder tab. If your goal was to wind up with the individual files, then you're done.

Otherwise, after the batch process is done, select Tool -> File Merger to merge the individual segments back into 1 file and you should have what you are after.

If you're unfamiliar with any of the batch processing or file merger options the user manual can help.

Hope this helps and isn't too cumbersome...
audioman

Post by audioman »

Thanks Holtram for your help!
I like about a 3 second break between each track and your suggestions seem to be the best way to go about it.
I'll try on an old WAV file that I have.
Cheers,
Fred