Error Message

GoldWave general discussions and community help
audioman

Error Message

Post by audioman »

Hokay,
I've captured some music files off a cassette tape and am working on restoration.
When I'm proceeding with the "Pop/Click" filter the fix will go about 2/3rds of the way through the files and then I get the error message: "Could Not Seek To A Position Within The File".
I've tried to use this filter on this file several times over but get the same result.
The filter has worked flawlessly on many other files that I've processed, sooo I'm at a stand-still here.
I'm using the GoldWave filter and it's preset at "Aggressive" 600.
Has anybody out there experienced this?
I'd sure appreciate any help and/or solutions.
I've got about 80 more of my wifes' BellyDancing tapes to transfer/edit yet!
Thanks,
Fred :shock:
audioman

Error Message Solved (I Think)

Post by audioman »

Thanks to all of you out there about to lend a hand and to all of you who were just curious!
I think I've solved the problem with the error message.
I first ran the "Noise Reduction" filter and then the "Pop/Click" filter. That seems to have done the trick.
It seems that I should have looked before I leapt.....
Cheers,
Fred
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

"Could Not Seek To A Position Within The File".
Usually, a problem like that means there's something wrong with the original audio file. It might also happen if a WAV file exceeds 2GB. (There is a file-size field in the WAV file header, and it only goes up to 2GB.) What format was it? Did you record it with GoldWave? (I've never had any trouble with any files I've recorded with GoldWave.) ...I have no idea why noise reduction worked, but once GoldWave has re-constructed and re-saved the file, I assume the file-structure was fixed.
The filter has worked flawlessly on many other files that I've processed...
This would tend to confirm that there was something wrong with the file.
audioman

Issue Seems Resolved

Post by audioman »

Hello,
These files were recorded as WAV files with GoldWave and were a good distance from 2GB (much, much less).
Running them through the "Noise Reduction" filter first did the trick for the "Pop/Click" because it then filtered them with no problems!
All's well that ends well.
I want to thank you for your input. You've helped me several times in the past.....
Fred
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Error Message

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A "could not seek" error usually means that the file was truncated or shorter than it's supposed to be. I don't see how that is possible without some warning or error appearing when you open the file or some problem with the hard drive. Having to use Noise Reduction first shouldn't be necessary (and Pop/Click should be used before Noise Reduction). If the problem happens again, contact me.

Chris