Live Filtering (While Recording)

GoldWave general discussions and community help
eddiewallus

Live Filtering (While Recording)

Post by eddiewallus »

Greetings. I'm interested in applying a filter preset (Bandpass/stop) live, while I'm recording, rather than after the audio has been captured. Is such a thing possible? If so, how might I go about it?

Cheers, Eddie.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

It will be possible only with an external device, one used for professional sound systems or for electric guitars, for example.
:D
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

you won't be able to do it in goldwave...for really any major audio editor that i know of. sure, they can process realtime..but they only process in post production.

if you need to filter sound..then you'll either need to buy the hardware componets that you run your audio feed through before the sound card...or you'll need to pick up a sound card that will allow you to apply effects in realtime before it gets sent to the recording stream.

As far as what cards will let you do this. Off the top of my head, i know the Creative Audigy series will do it *IF* you use the alternative kx project drivers rather than the creative issued drivers. the KX drivers don't work like any other sound drivers and can be difficult to configure, however, it does have some filtering in it.

the X-Fi i'm not sure if it's got a straight hi/lo filter in it's DSP bank or not. i believe about the closest you'll get to that is a parametric EQ. you'd think for a card that's "so powerful" it'd have more than about 9 main DSP effects....but they chose the ones i guess most musicians/audio people would need.

in any case, i wouldn't apply the filtering till the post-production part anyway, that way you can make sure you're not removing portions of sound you want to keep.
eddiewallus

Post by eddiewallus »

Thanks for the helpful ideas. Sounds like an external device is the way to go. All best, Eddie.
Emmett

Post by Emmett »

Nearly all software using ASIO drivers will allow realtime monitoring off effects while recording. However, it requires a solid system and professional soundcard or latency will be horrible.

Another option is to pick up an E-mu card with a DSP chip. Plenty of realtime effects.

Emmett