MP3 Tag information is lost

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Neil Thompson

MP3 Tag information is lost

Post by Neil Thompson »

If I open an MP3 file, increase the volume then save it, existing tag information such as Artist/Album/Title etc. is lost. The information is there before I open the file, i.e. it appears in Windows Explorer (Vista) but if I look at the File Information in Goldwave 5.22 once I've opened the file, it is all blank which is presumably why it disappears when I save the amended file over the original.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

Regards

Neil
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: MP3 Tag information is lost

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

How was the file created? If the information is not present under the File | Information command when you open the original MP3 file in GoldWave, then the information is not stored in the file in a standard way (in an ID3 tag). Try manually entering the information in GoldWave to see if that displays in Windows Vista. Also try using other MP3 tagging programs to see if they find the information when opening the original file.

Chris
Neil Thompson

Re: MP3 Tag information is lost

Post by Neil Thompson »

Chris, thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas!

I think the file was created from a vinyl LP using an earlier version of Goldwave about 4 or 5 years ago.

Using MP3 Tag Tools V1.2, the track/artist information appears if I choose ID3v2.x but not if I choose ID3v1.1.

When I open the file in Goldwave, the information is not brought in. If I retype the lost information and then save the file, the information is visible in MP3 Tag Tools as ID3v2.x but not as ID3v1.1.

The only odd thing that I can see is that in the Comments section of the original file is the following:

00000182 0000002E 00000E7E 0000058A 00004787 00021C34 00004314 000044C8 0001C700 00028AEB

Could this be causing Goldwave to ignore the tag information?

Eureka! I tried deleting the comments using MP3 Tag Tools and I couldn't but I could modify them. Once I saved the changes, Goldwave then sees all the file information and lets me delete the unwanted comments.

I guess there was some corruption in the ID3 tag so thanks for the pointers.

Regards

Neil
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

does goldwave fully support 2.x ID3 tags? most programs i've encountered don't handle them very well because a lot of programs break standards and insert info they're not supposed to.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

The hexagesimal code above is a Windows Explorer and a Windows Media Player thing. I think it could be a kind of checksum of the audio part.
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave supports only a subset of the entire ID3 specification and does not support "unsynchronization" (which is rarely used anymore). Supporting the full ID3 specification would require an entire program by itself.

Chris