Noobie Question

GoldWave general discussions and community help
kex

Noobie Question

Post by kex »

How come when i'm using Goldwave on my vista, it doesn't seem to be recording anything, it seems like juz recording in silence even when the music is playing? but I dun experienced such problems on XP. Any advise?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

there apparently have been some issues with recording things in Vista..and while I can't say I've personally used it, I know MS changed the audio subsystem so much that a lot of things just don't work. I believe the lack of real DirectSound has something to do with it.

this was discussed somewhere in the forums, try searching for it.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't have Vista, so I'm not sure what the differences are.

A couple of things you can try:

Check-out the Recording FAQ. Maybe there is something in there that will help you. If you are trying to record "What You Hear" with Vista, there is some bad news about that in the FAQ.

In GoldWave, go to Options -> Control Properties -> Volume. Make sure that the correct input is selected for what you are trying to record, and make sure the volume is up. If you have more than one "soundcard", make sure the right one is selected.

Go to Options -> Control Properties -> Device. Again, make sure the correct device is selected for recording.

Go to Options -> Control Properties -> Test. Run the Troubleshooter and see if anything "jumps out" at you.

If none of that helps, please tell us what source you are trying to record from (line-in, microphone, sound streaming from the net, etc.). And, tell us something about your "soundcard". Is it an actual PCI soundard, a soundchip on the motherboard or in a laptop, an external USB soundcard? ...Anything you can tell us might be a clue.
it seems like juz recording in silence even when the music is playing?
Windows (the versions of Windows I know about) has two different mixers... one for recording and one for playback.

With many (maybe most) soundcards, you can only record from one input at a time... The recording "mixer" is not a true mixer. So, if you have the wrong recording input selected, you won't record, or you will record the wrong thing.

On the other hand, the playback mixer is a true mixer and you can actually mix sounds... You can hear the CD player, a WAV file, and the sound from the line input, all at the same time.
kex

Post by kex »

DougDbug wrote:If none of that helps, please tell us what source you are trying to record from (line-in, microphone, sound streaming from the net, etc.). And, tell us something about your "soundcard". Is it an actual PCI soundard, a soundchip on the motherboard or in a laptop, an external USB soundcard? ...Anything you can tell us might be a clue.
Basically, mine is a PCI sound card, I'm trying to do some sound streaming from the net, but it doesn't seem to work, therefore hope to seek your opinions as I'm not too sure about this in Wins Vista... :oops:

After doing the troubleshooting, the reports states something like, for the volume inputs: "There are no selectable inputs for this device." and the rest (Mic, Line in, rear mic etc.) are "No output available for this devices." Hope this helps...
holtram

Vista

Post by holtram »

This might be a Vista (by design) problem, Meliska posted this link which I think is still active and might help you:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/01/15 ... -in-vista/

As DewDude420 said, I think there are other posts about the subject which you could search on, but this was the one I specifically remembered.