Is GW compatible with "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD A

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GregGP

Is GW compatible with "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD A

Post by GregGP »

I'm not recording any sound.
When my XP was 'repaired' in 2007, a new sound card, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio, was added.
For a while it seemed that everything was working.
Then I upgraded Goldwave to 5.16 from 5.12. Problems started after that.
I re-installed 5.12, but the problems now remain:

Regardless of whether I configure GW to Primary Audio or to SoundMax, the Troubleshooter reports:

Input Levels:
Recording inputs for this device cannot be opened.

SoundMAX HD Audio I
Output Levels:
Playback outputs for this device cannot be opened.

Input Levels:
No master input control.
Stereo Mix: 100 (unselected)
Line In: 100 (selected)
CD Player: 100 (unselected)
Microphone: 100 (unselected)

I alternate the settings between PCM 16 bit and higher settings.
I alternate between left, or right, or average channels.
(I'm just trying combinations; I don't always know what the difference is.)

I suspect that there's something wrong with the sound card itself, not that it's broken, but there's some setting that I'm not understanding on the card, and it's preventing GoldWave from hearing the sound, so it can't record it.
Does anyone know of problems between this sound card and Goldwave's versions 5.12 or 5.16?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Is GW compatible with "SoundMAX Integrated Digital

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The driver for your new sound card separates the playback volume device from the recording volume device. That means there are no recording inputs for your playback device and no playback outputs for your recording device. Many older drivers would have all those combined under a single volume device, but the "Recording inputs for this device cannot be opened" troubleshooting message is normal for newer drivers.

Chris
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Thanks for the explanation, Chris.
Hopefully I can find out what driver I do need, then, to be able to use Goldwave again.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

In another post you mentioned that you were trying to record MP3 audio coming from your computer. From the above troubleshooting information it looks like you have "Line In" selected. You'll need to select "Stereo Mix" to record the computer's output. In GoldWave, press F11 and choose the Volume tab to select it. If you don't see the "Stereo Mix" source, try selecting a different volume device.

Chris
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

Yes, I've been also using the Stereo Mix setting. I found information someplace that guided through a configuration setting in a file, changing the 00 No to 01 Yes, or something like that, in order to activate Stereo Mix.
I've downloaded a couple other sound recorders to try them, and nothing has worked.
I've spent several days carefully experimenting with different settings, between Primary Sound Recorder and the SoundMax, for instance, and the Mic, Line-In, Stereo-Mix settings, different combinations of everything. Interspersed with hours online trying to weed through forums and messages...

Now I'm trying to find out who's got SoundMax's drivers I need, here in Canada: the sound 'card' isn't a card, it's built onto the motherboard, so I have to understand how that system works: a separate company has drivers for the SoundMax build-ons, for specific motherboards, for Canada. Not the motherboard company or the 'card' company, it's someone else again. and the Driver company is different for every country.

(The guy who sold that motherboard to me is officially off my greeting card list. Good god...)
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Do you know the brand or manufacturer of the motherboard?

If quality is important, then you may want to invest in a separate sound card. Integrated sound hardware tends to be noisy.

Chris
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

AMD Sempron is the mother board. They don't distribute the Drivers, they let another company do it. Identifying the name and location of the Driver(s) is its own excellent adventure.

You're right about the second sound card, it's the smartest and easiest remedy. I just didn't want another out-of-pocket experience right now...
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

AMD Sempron is the type of CPU in your motherboard..and they wouldn't distribute drivers since CPU's don't really need drivers.

It seems to me that if they added this card...then it's already a PCI sound card and you'd be getting the drivers directly from whoever made the SoundMax chips.

If you want to detect your motherboard, there's a program called Fresh Diagnose..available at www.freshdevices.net - it will tell you what make/model your motherboard is, as well as all kinds of other hardcore information you always never wanted to know about your system. I just installed it on my laptop, it works and seems to have no crap attached to it. But it will return all kinds of information on your multimedia system. It said my sound device was disabled...which is odd considering it also listed a chipset not on the board...but Im sure that's a fluke, this is afterall a laptop and i'm sure we all know they're some kind of strange beasts.
wbrsfm

Re: Is GW compatible with "SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD A

Post by wbrsfm »

I just acquired myself a problem like this one.
We just switched computers in the back of an audio studio and installed goldwave on a brand new Dell with XP. (The old was also a Dell XP.) The old machine could record line-out into goldwave just fine. There doesn't seem to be anything different with the new setup but I can't get anything to record. SoundMax is enabled, volume is high enough, line-in on the volume panel is on (though the default was off). Like the poster above, I've played with the default/soundmax settings and a handful of others. Speaker volume and output is perfect, but how do I bridge what you say is the disconnect between recording and playback on the soundcard?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you want to record your speaker output (or line output), then you need to select the "Stereo Mix", "What You Hear", or "Wave" source, not "Line in". You can find details here.

Chris
GregGP

Post by GregGP »

I finally managed to invest in an additional sound card.

Had that 'repair tech' offered me the choice, I wouldn't have optioned for a motherboard with a 'sound card' built onto it.
When I could correct that costly mistake, I got a plug-in sound card that allows for both internal and external recording.
I've not since heard of any other remedy for that problem. That type of sound card needs to be either replaced, or circumvented with a second card.

To date I'm not even sure where a sound card like that original card is used. This tech knew the work I do, musically... I guess it's good in situations where people download music and play it, and never need to record anything. It's a lesson to me, that these situations would be so common, that it pays for a company to build a sound card like that right onto the motherboard.
Even so, I'd at least colour-code the product boxes and put a -PO after the name or model number. ("PO" means "Play-Only" before you buy it, and means something else if some porridge-head installs it on your system for big bucks and only then you realize it's Play-Only...)

Thanks again for your comments and advice, and thanks to Goldwave's Site for sending email alerts to me to tell me when some new information has been added.

Grateful
GP