Manual?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

Manual?

Post by Coriolanus »

Is there any manual in .DOC of PDF format that I can print out and read?

I am not all that partial to on-line stuff. I just have GOLDWAVE on a trial but am disappointed at the lack of documentation on the product as it seems very complex to me.

I am wondering if it will be too difficult to use?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I usually prefer a "real" manual too... It's easier to flip-through and find what you're looking for, you can stick-in a post-it to mark a spot, etc. But, there is no DOC or PDF manual. You can go to Help->Manual and then click File->Print. (I have not printed it out myself.)

But, here's the really bad news... You don't get the figures/images until you register (pay). :(
I am wondering if it will be too difficult to use?
As far as audio editors go, I'd say GoldWave is fairly easy to use. But, audio editing itself is not that easy if you are not already familiar with the concepts, standard filters/processes, or terminology. It all depends on what you want to do... A lot of newcomers want to do stuff that's impossible with any audio editor!

I highly recommend GoldWave (assuming it has the tools/features you need). It's a good, solid, mature program. I don't remember when I first started using it, but somewhere around 10 years ago... With free upgrades all that time! And, you can't find better technical support. If you have a problem (or question) Chris (GoldWave's developer) will work with you to get it solved. (Sometimes you have to wait for an answer, but you will get an answer from the expert.)

I won't claim that GoldWave is the "best" audio editing program... There are many higher-priced more-professional-programs. But, like I said, you can't get better tech-support, and I doubt you can find a more bug-free program... If you find a bug, Chris will try to fix it. (A lot of software companies seem more interested in adding "cool new features" than in making a bug-free program!)
Coriolanus

Manual?

Post by Coriolanus »

Thank you for answering. I really appreciate it.

Ok here is what I want GoldWave for:

I had an old set of tape of an audiobook from England. I used the recorder that came with my soundcard to write them out to WAV files.

I want to burn them to CD but I need to clean up the audio a bit.
1, Remove clicks and hisses.
2. On several tapes there was like a stutteringhand I need to get rid of
3. I need to edit out the voice that announces the beginning and end of the cassette.
4. I need to be able to create cut and chop the files up to about 70 minute lenghts to burng to CD.

My friend has Goldwave and says it does that but I can't figure it out. If I thought it could do that I would go ahead and buy it.

All I am going to be working with is coverting audio tapes to WAV files - cleaning them up -- splitting them to size and burning a CD. I have the CD burner stuff.

Also I don't want to have to listen to the wave tracks in order to edit them -- maybe just parts of them .
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

For basic editing like you want to do Goldwave is really rather easy.

To select portions you want to delete..I generally click on the area where i want to start and then drag to about the end point, fine tuning by dragging the points. You can then delete the audio you want by going edit - delete...or the easy way of just hitting the delete key.

To remove the studdering, it's about the same process..you can select the studdering portion and delete it; however; if you want to do perfect edits so you get seamless cuts, it takes practice of looking at the waveforms at almost a 1:1 level and finding the appropiate point...however, you can probably get satisfactory results.

Now, by default (now) Goldwave plays the entire file from the cursor position to the end...the original action for the main play button was to play just the selection, and in control properties, you can restore this behavior. Goldwave will only then play the selected amount of audio. It should also be noted that Goldwave will only process audio that's selected regardless of the behavior of the playback button.

Removing the clicks and hiss can be a slightly complicated process. Goldwave has an automatic click/pop filter that should pick up most of the offensive stuff you'll get from transferring tape. There aren't a lot of options, you can pick a sensitivy amount and process...(remember, processing is only done on selections)

Hiss is a different matter. The best way to remove hiss is to first find a small selection of recording that has just hiss and copy it to the clipboard. This makes up a noise print...essentially a copy of the noise you want removed, and we'll use this in the noise reduction process..so it's important it contains only the noise/hissing you want removed.

Once you have that copied to your clipboard, you can then go to the noise reduction filter and select "Copy Noiseprint from Clipboard" preset. From there you can click apply and see how your results turn out. You may have to start tweaking settings a bit.

I've found that i've never really needed the manual...if i generally have a problem in a particular tool i click the help button in that tool's window and can figure it out pretty easily. I've never needed a manual to learn goldwave, it was pretty much trial and error..however, in your case since you have a specific project and are trying to learn it, it can be a bit fustrating..espically when you keep focusing on the end result.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

If I don't get the clicks and hiss out that's is not too bad. They aren't that bad on the tape as I recorded with Dolby and DBX on. I just hope the squek on some of the tapes as they played didn't come through.

Yes you are right I just want to use it to do what I want and only learn that part of it to do what I want so I can burn the CD's. Couldn't figure how to record with it which was why I used my Sound Card. Also on my sound card, I can record and not have to listen to it.

My real purpose for Goldwave it putting taped audiobooks to CD -- but I don't want to do on a 1:1 basis -- but rather 70 Minutes to a CD. And I want to get audiobooks on MP3 and split them and write to regular CD.

As I build the correct length I will put that segment in a separate folder on my harddive till I build the files for the CD Burn.

I wonder if the restore feature of ISOBUSTER would help with these spots in the wave files?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Dolby and DBX companding technologies can be handy..provided you have the proper decoders...i'm assuming you have the original deck they were recorded on to play back..if you don't...then your Dolby isn't going to be accurate..that's the one cavet of dolby..if you don't use the exact same hardware to decode that you did to encode, it sounds horrid..the effect is less noticable on Dolby B than it is on Dolby C...and a partial reason why Dolby B sounded horrible on pre-recorded cassettes..if the tapes weren't recorded in either...then you COULD turn those on to reduce noise...however it does modify the audio content and it's hard to explain exactly what it does if you don't understand audio and things like dynamic compression/expansion.

the squeeking should have been mechnical to either your cassette or cassette deck and generally doesn't transfer. my reel-to-reel had a slightly warped reel that made a squeeking noise when it'd slightly graze the tape that, didn't get transfferred with the material.

i don't have any dbx hardware..i can't tell you how well that works.

the playback while recording feature is built in to the audigy..and SOMEWHERE in a sound card config you can turn off "litsten while record" so it'll mute the line-in while recording...although I highly suggest not using your computer for anything while recording to ensure you don't wind up with missing audio (it can happen). I for one had for a while a dedicated box just for audio stuff and one for everything else.

Honestly, if you're just trying to focus on achieving your task and your task alone, you'll probably never figure out how to use goldwave..it's got it's own little tweaks and tricks and way it works that it's a good idea to mess around with the basic stuff before attempting any big projects....like i said..when i originally started playing with it..it was merely that..another piece of software to toy around with.

For what you want to do, Goldwave is easy and quick and a lot of fun..you just need to take the time to learn it rather than look at a manual on how to do this this and this specifically.

And i understand not wanting to do 1:1 basis for audiobooks and doing them by CD-full...it makes sense....but remember, CD's can hold 80 minutes of audio.

and what exactly do you mean by using the restore feature to help with "these spots"..what spots? you mean splitting a large wave file up? goldwave does that if you peek around the Cue Points menu.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

Thanks for all your help -- it is really useful, but I have a much bigger problem.

I can't get the wave files to play in Goldwave -- they only play in my Creative Sound Recorder -- they back on nothing else.

Have a new post explaining the problem and the hardware I have.

Boy am I am really stupid and making a nuisance of myself :cry: