Dividing a large file into smaller segments

GoldWave general discussions and community help
TooBlue

Dividing a large file into smaller segments

Post by TooBlue »

Hi, I'm an experienced GoldWave user, but a newbie to the forum. I'm starting to use GoldWave to record my band's sets for review purposes. I wind up with one large .wav file which I'd like to divide into separate files for each song. Is there an easy way to do this? Last time I kept opening the big file and trimming out each song, but that's a pain. Is there a way to mark a spot between each song, and divide the file into the component pieces in one edit?

Thanks,
fd
Frank
holtram

Use cue points

Post by holtram »

You would want to do (or try) this using cue points. Basically you would open up the cue points dialog (Tool -> Cue Points) or I have a button on my toolbar.

Then select the Auto Cue button and set the parameters probably using a "find silence" strategy (problem I can see - between "tracks" you may not have detectable silence especially if there is talking, applause, crowd noise or whatever).

Then you can edit each cue (name) and do a split/save into whatever format you want. Check out the cue points instructions in the manual for more detailed steps.
TooBlue

Post by TooBlue »

Just tried it. Although there is crowd noise between songs, it's low enough that GW can find the silence and make the cut. Thanks!
Frank