Processing multiple editing changes at the same time

GoldWave general discussions and community help
sg60

Processing multiple editing changes at the same time

Post by sg60 »

Is there any way to make more than one change on a file at the same time? For example, if I want to reduce hiss, elimnate clicks and pops and normalize volume on a single file, can all of these operations be done at the same time or do they each have to be run separately? Basically I'm just looking for a way to streamline some processes. Thanks.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Try File -> Batch Processing and Tool -> Effect Chain Editor.

NOTE - I've never actually used either of these... Most audio editing/processing requires lots of manual input and trial-and-error (and monitoring/listening to the results).

Noise reduction is often a balance between leaving some noise or getting artifacts and/or killing some of the desired sound. If you try to fully-automate the process, you probably won't get optimum results.

Some things are more suited to automation than others... For example, normalizing (GoldWave calls it maximizing) is "safe", and I wouldn't have a problem with automating that. And, you can usually get-away with using the same EQ settings for all of the tracks on a CD, after you've optimized the settings, etc.
mh

Post by mh »

The only real way to do this is by using batch processing. The chain editor doesn't allow most of these effects, because they either need a pre-scan or need to access more than one sample at a time.

Copy your noise print into the clipboard, then set up a batch job containing a pop/click, a clipboard noise reduction and a maximise volume (this should be last in the list, as the other two may modify the maximum volume). Finally, add the file you want to process to the batch job, and just let it run.

Doug's comments on noise reduction should be noted. You will probably want to experiment manually on some small sections of the file, just to make sure that you get the balance right. Even then, you might go too far with it. Using as high an FFT and overlap as possible can preserve things better, but at the expense of drastically increased processing time.

You should definitely pop/click the noise print before copying it. The goal is to ensure that your noise print contains only background noise, and even a single large pop in it will contribute to the noise reduction effect to the detriment of the original. If you want to preserve the higher frequencies of the original, you should also consider either reducing high frequencies in the print (using EQ) or removing them altogether (using Low/Highpass).

A lot of the time you might find that you don't even need to run noise reduction. If it sounds alright then it is alright, irrespective of how it might look in the editor window.

If you're going to run noise reduction on a vinyl rip, I advise running a 40 Hz steepness 5 highpass before it. This will give your original the best chance of surviving the process relatively intact.

Pop/Click can work wonders but it can also do damage. Run it on some rhythmic bass-heavy material, and you'll hear what I mean. Even after running a Pop/Click, you'll find that you still have quite a few pops and clicks present. This is a normal and expected result, not a fault of GoldWave. You may have to remove some of them manually. Trust your ears, not your eyes. Resist the temptation to use a really low Tolerance, or you'll risk doing serious damage.

I would also personally use MaxMatch rather than Maximize.

Finally, make sure you don't overwrite your original. If your first attempt messes up, you'll want it back!
sg60

Post by sg60 »

Thanks very much mh and Doug for your advice.
sg60

Post by sg60 »

mh, one more question. Can you tell me what you mean by MaxMatch?
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

MaxMatch is the button with a « knob » draw, a « = » sign and a « ! » mark. When you click on this button, Goldwave normalizes the same average volume on left and right channels, and the highest peak will be exactly at 0 dB.
:D