Recording problem - Volume level is distorted - please help!

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Musicman3

Recording problem - Volume level is distorted - please help!

Post by Musicman3 »

Hi guys 8) ,

I have been using Goldwave for several years now, and have had wonderful experiences using it. Recently, I got a new computer, and I noticed a problem that I never had before when I record sounds: The volume is distorted and the amplitude is flatlined.

Let me be specific as to what I mean.

This is graph of a Normal sound:

This is graph of a distorted sound that I've been recording. The amplitude somehow just flatlines at the top:

Because of this flatlineness, the volume of the sound is distorted, and when I play it, it sounds like the speakers are about to explode with excess bass.

Here are my settings:

Device Control Settings
Recording Source & Volume: Stereo Mixer, 75%

Sound hardware

If you need any other information, please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :D
Musicman3

Post by Musicman3 »

Anybody? :wink:
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Device Control Settings
Recording Source & Volume: Stereo Mixer, 75%
Try a lower volume setting... Say, 50% or 25%.

What are you recording from, and how are you connected?

This "flatline" effect is called clipping. It results from trying to go above the maximum volume level at any point in the audio chain... For example, you get clipping when you try to go above 0dBFS in a WAV file, or if you try to get 110 Watts from a 100 Watt amplifier, etc.

Since the digital level does not reach 0dB (100%), it looks like something in the analog circuitry is clipping. (Something like this might happen if you hook-up a line-level output to a microphone input.)
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

I had the same when I put my computer in service (I use only the LINE input, but it is the same problem, I think): I solved it by setting the input volume to the maximum and adapting the source output instead of the Line input.
:D
Musicman3

Post by Musicman3 »

(Something like this might happen if you hook-up a line-level output to a microphone input.)
Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain the part about line-level output to a microphone input, basically how would I find out if I have it wrongly like this?
I had the same when I put my computer in service (I use only the LINE input, but it is the same problem, I think): I solved it by setting the input volume to the maximum and adapting the source output instead of the Line input.
Hi, could you please give me a step-by-step instruction on how to go about doing this? Thank you! 8)

PS: I was trying to record sound from an active window such as internet explorer, DVD being played, games, etc. Thanks again for your replies, guys! 8)
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

• To increase the record level:
- double-click to the speaker on the tray
- options
- properties
- recording volume or input device or whatsoever is proposed
- OK
- increase the slide of the source used

• To lower the play level:
a) a mix table if ever you have one

or b) - double-click to the speaker on the tray
- lower the slide of the concerned sources.

or c) - try the best source/micrphone distance to get the wanted volume.
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If adjusting volume levels doesn't help, download and install the latest sound driver for your hardware. Never assume that the drivers included with a new computer are the latest available.

Chris