Normalizing, Eq'ing, Highest Quality MP3 Live Performance

GoldWave general discussions and community help
BuddyRFan

Normalizing, Eq'ing, Highest Quality MP3 Live Performance

Post by BuddyRFan »

Hi folks,
I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some input. I am a working musician and need help in using MP3 format for performing with our duet. I have multi tracked performance tracs and they are mixed down in stereo and archived to CD. I want to use MP3's to make my life simpler at the gig.

Although it may be a "64 thousand dollar question", I'd like some "step by step" guidance in converting the wave files to MP3 with the best possible quality for live performance.

I currently use WMP 9 to rip the CD tracks to 256 kbps MP3's and, of course, the Goldwave v. 5.10 software.

I look forward to any input that will help me save time and mistakes as I set out to convert our large library.

Thanks. :)
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Although it may be a "64 thousand dollar question", I'd like some "step by step" guidance in converting the wave files to MP3 with the best possible quality for live performance.
When it comes to (lossy) compression, the trick is to use a high-enough bitrate. 256 kbps is generally considered "transparent". That is, it should sound exactly like the original.

There is a ton of information about MP3 bitrate settings on the Hydrogenaudio forum.

Keep in mind that the only reason to use a low bitrate (or to use compression at all) is to get smaller files. If you have enough hard disk space, just use a high-bitrate and don't worry about it. Depending on how much space you have, you can use lossless compression (i.e. FLAC), or uncompressed WAV files.
I currently use WMP 9 to rip the CD tracks to 256 kbps MP3's and, of course, the Goldwave v. 5.10 software.
So, you are using GoldWave for normalizing, EQ, etc? In that case, you should rip to uncompressed WAV, and then compress once to MP3 as the last step. As you probably know, MP3 is "lossy" compression. When you open an MP3 file in GoldWave, it has to be de-compressed before processing, and then re-compressed before saving. That means a 2nd lossy compression step, plus it takes more time. (At 256 kbps, you probably won't actually notice the quality loss.)

When it comes to processing (equalizing, etc.), a good recording doesn't need any processing. So, it's a question of what you are trying to improve or fix.
I want to use MP3's to make my life simpler at the gig.
I assume you are playing those MP3s on a computer? Using computers in a live performance always makes me nervous! :shock: A computer is probably less reliable than any of the other equipment that you may be using. So.... I suggest that you have a backup.... A 2nd computer, or a CD player, or something. (I'd feel a little better if you have a dedicated computer... You are less likely to mess-up a setting if you are not using the computer for "everyday use".)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Doug hits the nails on the head (as he always does....are you in a different timezone or do you have access to a computer at work?).

In my opionion...I WOULD NOT use MP3 for really ANY reason. If you're doing a live performence it's to your advantage to use a lossless format like FLAC.

As far as EQing your files....i'd seriously do that in real-time using your outboard audio equipment. Every venue is different and what might sound good in one location might sound horrible in another.

For a brief period of time I did soundboards for the bands in high school and even after high school I did stuff for some of those guys (I actually co-produced thier first recorded album) and you NEVER get the same acoustics/tonal qualities twice.

I'd say, rip and just compress to FLAC..that way you've got a high-quality lossless source that you don't have to question the quality...but when it comes to applying your EQ or such...you should really try to do that on a per-case basis...naturally going into a place to do "sound-checks" and then adjusting for what you need.
BuddyRFan

Post by BuddyRFan »

Does WMP 10 support FLAC files? Is there a player that supports FLAC files?
Thanks.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't normally use FLAC files, but I just tried it with WMP 9 (here at work :wink:) and it wouldn't play the FLAC file. But, it might work with the right CODEC and the right configuration. It did play on Winamp, which happens to be my "default" audio player.
Doug hits the nails on the head (as he always does....are you in a different timezone or do you have access to a computer at work?).
Yeah... I work at the computer all day. I actually have 3 computers, plus a couple more that I use occasionally. I'm mostly running computerized tests that test electronic hardware. Some of the tests take a few minutes, so I can jump-over to the Net while a test is running. When I compose a response, I jump back-and forth between "work" and "play", because the test is usually done before I'm done writing. And sometimes I just goof-off! But, I don't take lunch or other scheduled breaks. Right now, it's after 6:00 PM (here in California) and I'm the only person in this side of the building... And Winamp is playing! :twisted:
Last edited by DougDbug on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

WMP can play FLAC files if the codec is proprely installed.

I downloaded K-Lite Codec from here: http://www.01net.com/outils/telecharger ... 26950.html
Once you click on "télécharger" (="download"), just close the message box, it's only an invite to read some web pages outside from this site.
:D
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

sadly i don't get any real internet access till i'm at home..or i stop off somewhere with free wifi on the way home from work...i don't even own a desktop anymore. i've taken the laptop to work a few times but, we don't have a wireless network and i didn't pick anything up...i'm also out on the road most of the time so i wouldn't really have a chance to use it....of course then when i get home i've got winamp going and constantly throwing the idea around in my head if i should attempt to fine-tune some of my audio components (because, yeah, they're analog) so, even when i am i only randomly check the forums..i never could get into the habit of using webforums...

anyway, sorry for driving this so off topic.