Having trouble opening an .mp3

GoldWave general discussions and community help
gozu

Having trouble opening an .mp3

Post by gozu »

I'm trying to open up an .mp3 for editing, and GoldWave doesn't seem to want to allow that. The file in question is encoded at 44.1KHz @ 16 bit .mp3. When I try to open it in GoldWave, I get the following error:

"Could not open the file. Either the file does not exist or its format is not supported."

This is happening with the entire album. I'm not quite sure why, and the only reason I could come up with is that the album's title (F♯A♯∞) has some Unicode characters in it, but I have removed the album information from it and still got the same error.

Has anyone heard of this before? What should I do?
Kummel

Post by Kummel »

In the case where Goldwave doesn't open an mp3, I convert to WAV with another software (iTunes, Audacity...). It might be due to some non-standard header infos.
:D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble opening an .mp3

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Make sure the entire pathname of the file does not contain any unicode characters (check all folders and subfolders). Also try copying one of the files to a different folder and opening it from there instead.

Chris
gozu

Post by gozu »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Make sure the entire pathname of the file does not contain any unicode characters (check all folders and subfolders). Also try copying one of the files to a different folder and opening it from there instead.

Chris
That was the problem! Great, thank you. I'll keep that in mind next time.
joe.satriani

Post by joe.satriani »

I propose you effectively to migrate your mp3 file in WAV format by using another sfotware like CDex. Then, there will be no reason that GoldWave won't open the WAV file ...
WOM

Post by WOM »

Because GoldWave now supports Unicode, is the problem with the file path containing Unicode characters fixed ? I'm checking out some possible issues before downloading a trial.
-Roy
caloygwafo

Post by caloygwafo »

well i suggest that you use the GoldWave and you are having trouble decoding opening files..i believe uses GoldWave uses the same windows supplied mp3 while knowing it open an mp3 file..it reports the format the data was in when opened ...in this case it was basically signed PCM 16-bit from somewhere while the system and not a plug-in...
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave handle all Unicode filenames.

Chris