How to subdivide parts of a recording?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mr5973

How to subdivide parts of a recording?

Post by mr5973 »

I recently recorded a live performance of a band directly from the Internet (via WaveRec), so that I now have a nearly 30 minutes long audio file.

I now want to subdivide this audio file into seperate parts, in other words: I want to divide the songs from each other. But I want to to this without losing the flow if i play them one after the other --> how can I do this with GoldWave?

The Problem is that there should be a tool which lets me divide the songs clearly on a specific time, if the divide is not clear, you will hear the division when you play one song after the other (or burn them onto a cd).

Can anyboldy help me here?
Thanks!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Are you making a CD, MP3 files?, something else?
I want to divide the songs from each other.... The Problem is that there should be a tool which lets me divide the songs clearly on a specific time, if the divide is not clear, you will hear the division when you play one song after the other
I think it would help to use cue points to precisely set your start/finish markers, or else you can just zoom-in, note the time-position, and make sure one file starts exactly where the other ends. (And, cut at a zero-crossing.)

But I want to do this without losing the flow if i play them one after the other --> how can I do this with GoldWave?
This might not be a "GoldWave" function... It has more to do with your playback format & hardware.

With a CD, your burning software should allow you to burn a continuous file, with track markers between songs. (I've done this many times with CDRWin, which is the CD burning software I use.)

With MP3 files, you need a player (or player software) that supports gapless playback.

...I actually do things a little differently with MP3s. I make one big MP3 file of the full concert (with no easy way to jump-to a song). And, I make separate files for each song, with the crowd noise faded-in and faded-out. That way I can mix & match live & studio songs or play the songs out of sequence.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Cue files in goldwave...doug chimed in...so here i am as usual throwing other tidbits of info out.

when splitting a track in goldwave, make sure you splice the files in complance with the redbook specs. i made this mistake one time and even after burning indvidual wavs there was a click.

for audio CD, my suggestion is mark the cue points in goldwave, save cue file...use cd authorizing software to burn the wav/cue (directions vary).

when it comes to MP3, the ONLY option you have is to encode with lame and decode with a LAME compatible decoder...lame compatible? huh? ok, it's true all mp3 players wil play mp3's, and lame encodes mp3s, BUT, the thing about the mp3 format is it has NO provisions for gapless header info, and the nature of the format is going to place gaps in the audio (both during the encode from encoder lag and decoding)...it's just the nature of the iDCT method used in the codec.

lame compliant decoders are able to pick up the non-compliant gapless info lame sticks in the mp3 and is able to create a gapless playback using this header. not EVERY mp3 decoder will use this information...and if you're wanting playback in say a car cd-based mp3 player, forget it, these generally won't support it. however, the ipod supports it (after itunes does crap with the file) and running rockbox on an ipod gives it a lame compliant decoder and it handles gapless files with no problem. If computer playback is your primary setup, then as long as you have a good player (and not this MS crap), you're golden.