DSP Plugins?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

DSP Plugins?

Post by Coriolanus »

What DSP plugins are worth getting? I am only into audio books and improving the sound and removing noise from them.

Anyone have any suggestions for me -- I the Izotope Ozone looked nice but apparently it doesn't work :cry:
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: DSP Plugins?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Are the filters and effects in GoldWave not dealing with the kinds of noises you need to remove? The Noise Reduction effect and noise gate presets (under [/b]Compressor/Expander[/b]) cover many situations. Sibilance and plosives may still be a problem.

Chris
Coriolanus

Re: DSP Plugins?

Post by Coriolanus »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Are the filters and effects in GoldWave not dealing with the kinds of noises you need to remove? The Noise Reduction effect and noise gate presets (under [/b]Compressor/Expander[/b]) cover many situations. Sibilance and plosives may still be a problem.

Chris
For the most part they work well - but some times I have some really bad sound to deal with so I am always looking around for something that might be easier to work with. I have had some tapes that I really can't seem to clean up. Not even sure why they ever got so bad.

Also some of the options under the various noise suppresions do not give much of a clue how the different fields works and which is the best to use.

I really am looking for an automatic clip restores such as Audition has.
Greg1502

Post by Greg1502 »

Plugin is the best!
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Ok....I am a couple of days behind..I just literally found out this morning that 5.5 was released on Friday...of course Friday was also the day I had my truck broken in to and iPod stolen and quit my job...all in the same day..neat huh?

Coriolanus: you need to remember that there is a point where you can remove noise, and can't remove noise. You're NEVER going to remove all the noise from something and it is absolutely a waste of time to keep doing it...you remove the noise, you're going to have FFT noise.

You've got to remember that all this processing is done by FFT...which is how the Spectrogram readout is genegrated. If whatever you want to keep is entirely covered over by the unwanted signal...and you can't see any evidence of it in spectrogram...then ovbiously, you're not going to salvage under it.

I know you've been doing that audiobook project a while..and if you're still working on the same ones..it's time to call it quits and live with the noise..you'll spend years and years and years "chasing the dragon" on that one.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DewDude420 wrote:Ok....I am a couple of days behind..I just literally found out this morning that 5.5 was released on Friday...of course Friday was also the day I had my truck broken in to and iPod stolen and quit my job...all in the same day..neat huh?

Coriolanus: you need to remember that there is a point where you can remove noise, and can't remove noise. You're NEVER going to remove all the noise from something and it is absolutely a waste of time to keep doing it...you remove the noise, you're going to have FFT noise.

You've got to remember that all this processing is done by FFT...which is how the Spectrogram readout is genegrated. If whatever you want to keep is entirely covered over by the unwanted signal...and you can't see any evidence of it in spectrogram...then ovbiously, you're not going to salvage under it.

I know you've been doing that audiobook project a while..and if you're still working on the same ones..it's time to call it quits and live with the noise..you'll spend years and years and years "chasing the dragon" on that one.
\

Sorry to hear about your truck, IPOD and job - all at once. :cry: You do seem to have a heck of a lot of bad luck. :(

The audio project I was working on. I GOT IT FIXED. IT IS PERFECT NOW. And I found out what the problem was -- it was tracking error during duplication. I had a long correspondence with the publisher who sent me replacement CD;s for the bad ones.

Now I have a new problem -- it is an audio book from cassette which I got from a friend. Two of the cassette have this echo or repetition in them. You can litterally here the same words repeated at a low, fuzzy volume a second or so after they are spoken on the casstte. Using the clipboard function of the noice reduction -- I was able to get most of it cleaned up. But I still have some residue I would like to clean up. I have 16 second clip which from the tape which illustrates the problem -- I would like to upload it (not sure where) and have someone like you advise me what is the best method to get rid of this problem.

I can get rid of some it by working very slowly on the file -- but I have found nothing that will stip it off altogether. It sits right in the middle on the center like of the wave display (0.0) and just above - they just as little mark which you can see clearly when there is no main sound.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Well....the truck and ipod thing were just like, the nails in the coffin that caused me to quit my job. If I choose to have continued that employment, I would of been required to continue parking my truck in that location...therefore...I no longer choose to continue my employment there. I hate walking off a job...this one was stable and paid well..and the economy sucks....so i picked a really horrible time to walk...but that's how strongly i feel about things.

The Fuzzy "echo" you talk about is called "bleedthrough", it's a natural pheonomon in cassettes that means the cassette was recorded improperly. Take it from me...you can reduce it...but you'll never eliminate it.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DewDude420 wrote:Well....the truck and ipod thing were just like, the nails in the coffin that caused me to quit my job. If I choose to have continued that employment, I would of been required to continue parking my truck in that location...therefore...I no longer choose to continue my employment there. I hate walking off a job...this one was stable and paid well..and the economy sucks....so i picked a really horrible time to walk...but that's how strongly i feel about things.

The Fuzzy "echo" you talk about is called "bleedthrough", it's a natural pheonomon in cassettes that means the cassette was recorded improperly. Take it from me...you can reduce it...but you'll never eliminate it.
I hope you are able to get another job - this economy sucks. In a way I am glad I am retired as I would hate to have to try and make a living in this economy and under this president.

Yes I have cut the "bleedthrough" down quite a lot -- what tool is best to work on it some more - Bandstop, or continue with the clipboard. I know I can never eliminate it as it is too thoroughly mixed in with the cassete.

Let me as you a really DUMB question - which the manual doesn't seem to answer -- when I look at the display of the wave form - it says it is normalized? But is in in Hz or what -- when I see a range I want to eliminate the effect usually lists Hz for the Y axis but on the display is the Y axis in Hz and what does normalize mean?

Thanks.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

normalized just means that say, if your waveform was peaking at -6db (50%) that it'll merely display you a "normalized" wave that covers the entire db scale. it's handy if you're editing a section in something with dynamics.

also, a waveform doesn't show you frequency. waveforms basically show you amplitude over time...or what's known as the time domain. all FFT effects work in the frequency domain...frequency domain would be displays like spectrogram, spectrum and maybe even the analog bars (although analog bars have been around long before digital audio)
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DewDude420 wrote:normalized just means that say, if your waveform was peaking at -6db (50%) that it'll merely display you a "normalized" wave that covers the entire db scale. it's handy if you're editing a section in something with dynamics.

also, a waveform doesn't show you frequency. waveforms basically show you amplitude over time...or what's known as the time domain. all FFT effects work in the frequency domain...frequency domain would be displays like spectrogram, spectrum and maybe even the analog bars (although analog bars have been around long before digital audio)
Thanks for the answers - that was very helpful - now another dumb question.

If I look at the various effects and the parameters etc. they ask for input in Hz -- how can I find the Hz information from Goldwave? Do you translate Amplitude into Hz? Is there a display which shows Hz or Db?

Thanks

Judy
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Two of the cassette have this echo or repetition in them. You can litterally here the same words repeated at a low, fuzzy volume a second or so after they are spoken on the casstte.
It seems as though you are experiencing tape print through - where the signal that is magnetically encoded on the tape is transfering to the adjacent layer of tape.

We used to store our open reel tapes "tails out" - meaning that we fast forwarded the tape to the end of the reel and stored it that way, instead of having the beginning of the audio at the open end of the reel.

If you listen to any of the old pop music from the days before digital recording, when all the tunes were recorded on tape, you might even be able to detect an occasional example of print through. If I remember correctly, Monday Monday by the Mamas And Papas is a good example. Listen very carefully through a decent set of headphones and you will hear a very faint second or so of the music (print through) before the actual and intended signal comes on.

If you have been able to do anything at all to diminish the problem, I compliment you on being so resourceful! I would think that would be a very difficult problem to resolve.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

One cannot translate amplitude directly in to frequency. That is what FFT does.

The only way one can accurately look at the frequency spectrum in Goldwave is using the Spectrogram visual. If you turn axis on and narrow the frequencies of the display, you can get an idea of where things are.

This isn't as nice as what they have in Audition which will display the entire file in a spectrogram like way, but if you learn how to fiddle with the spectrogram settings you can generally find out what you need. You don't need to play the selection, dragging a selection marker over the area will have it display information in spectrogram, granted it'll look more stretched out since you're dragging it slower than playback rate.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

DewDude420 wrote:One cannot translate amplitude directly in to frequency. That is what FFT does.

The only way one can accurately look at the frequency spectrum in Goldwave is using the Spectrogram visual. If you turn axis on and narrow the frequencies of the display, you can get an idea of where things are.

This isn't as nice as what they have in Audition which will display the entire file in a spectrogram like way, but if you learn how to fiddle with the spectrogram settings you can generally find out what you need. You don't need to play the selection, dragging a selection marker over the area will have it display information in spectrogram, granted it'll look more stretched out since you're dragging it slower than playback rate.
I have never had much luck getting GOLDWAVE to show me the spectrogram -- I read how to do it in the manual but seem to be too stupid to get it to work. I end up using AUDITION where I just click on a button but I would like to learn to use it in GOLDWAVE.

Can you switch back and forth as easily between spectrogram and wavefrom in GOldwave as in Auditition?

I think I have figured out how to do it but the display I get has no Hz marking like Audition does - maybe I have the wrong display - I click on the little control button and got the display but not display of the Hz values.

Thanks so much for all you help, Jay.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

In GoldWave you'd select the Spectrogram visual. Right-click on a visual in the Control window to select "Spectrogram". Right-click on the visual again to select "Properties" to select the "Show axis" option. You'd then play the file to generate the spectrogram or drag the start/finish marker over the waveform (in the Sound window) you want analyzed.

Chris
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:In GoldWave you'd select the Spectrogram visual. Right-click on a visual in the Control window to select "Spectrogram". Right-click on the visual again to select "Properties" to select the "Show axis" option. You'd then play the file to generate the spectrogram or drag the start/finish marker over the waveform (in the Sound window) you want analyzed.

Chris
Is there anyway to enlarge the spectrogram window - the numebrs are really tiny and hard to see.

Another question -- what is the purpose of the visual options you get when you do F11 as opposed to clicking on the control window icon? I mean under F11 it looks as if everything is checked ?