Automatic Double Tracking

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mathyou9

Automatic Double Tracking

Post by mathyou9 »

I would guess that the flanger is the logical choice to create an "Automatic Double Tracking" effect. Since there is no "ADT" preset on the flanger, I'm left to experiment (which I honestly don't mind doing.) But if anyone here has any experience using the flanger for ADT, what settings have worked best for you?
jpnullnvoid

Re: Automatic Double Tracking

Post by jpnullnvoid »

hi mat,

from what i've read about doubltracking, it is simply adding a delayed copy of a sound to the original sound. i would image you could also use the expression evaluator for this type of effect as well. try copying and pasting the following expressions into the expression evaluator:

wave1(n)+wave1(n+x)

x = the number of samples to delay the second track by (i.e. 44100 = 1 second).

or this one which is a little more involved:

wave1(n)+wave1(n+(x*sin(2*pi*f*t)))

in the above expression, the delay amount is modulated by a sine wave, much like what happens in a chorus/flanger effect.
x = delay window (you should probably keep this below 150)
f = frequency (this should be anywhere between 0.1 and 1)

of course, you could always experiment with the values.

good luck!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I've never used this effect, so I'm just guessing...

The simplest way to get doubling would be:

1. Make a copy of the file.
2. Add a few milliseconds of silence to the beginning of the copy (to create a delay).
3. Mix the files together.
4. Effect->Volume->Maximize before saving to prevent clipping.

My fear is that the timing will be "too perfect", and that you won't get the "rich" sound you're looking for...

Or, you might look for an audio editor with a chorus effect. (I'm pretty sure Audacity has a chorus plug-in.) You might be able to set the chorus for simple doubling, and I think a chorus effect gives subtle pitch variations for a more "interesting" effect.

It seems like you're right and the flanger should work. I'd start with the following:

Source 50%
Flanger 50%
Feedback 0%
Variable Delay .015
Frequency .010
Fixed Delay .015
Sine
Stereo
--------------------------
NOTES -
Source and Flanger together should add-up to 100%. If you go over 100%, you run the risk of clipping (distortion). Of course, this depends on the level of your original track, and you can always use Volume->Maximize, or some other adustments to keep the levels from clipping.

The variable delay and frequency settings will give you some flanging. If the flanging is too "obvious" or too "weird", you can set the frequency lower, or even to zero. My feeling is that some subtle variation will give a better, more interesting, sound. (But, you don't want to hear the usual flanging "sweep".)

If the total delay gets to about 50mS, you will probably hear echo. If the total delay is greater than 0.10, you will clearly hear the delay/echo. If the delay is too short, you'll just get a comb filter without any "doubling". (The flanger sound is the result of a swept comb filter.)
The Great Watbol!

Post by The Great Watbol! »

I've had good luck doubbling with the flanger:
Source: 75
Flanger%: -60
Variable delay: 20.0 to 30.0
Frequency: 0.001 (lowest when dragging left)
Fixed delay: 20.0 to 30.0 (matching variable delay)
(the higher the number, the farther the beats will be apart)
Sine modulator & stereo boxes checked

I have actually saved that setting and call it doubble beat.
Le'me know what you think...
------------------------------
¿¿¿-:·}~ «-{Watbol}-» ©2000® ☆*★*☆
(•¿•)
Memory King

Post by Memory King »

Haven't experimented much with Flanger, but this definitely works for me. Thanks!