File Merging

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Keyser

File Merging

Post by Keyser »

Hi

I use this particular feature alot

is there any way to set the default sample rate to 96Khz?

one irritating thing is that if I add say 9 wave files they always appear as

09.wav
01.wav
02.wav

and I have to always click on the Name field to have them resort correctly so that 01.wav is listed first and 09.wav last

Can this be corrected?

Thanks!!
DougDbug

Re: File Merging

Post by DougDbug »

is there any way to set the default sample rate to 96Khz?
Hmmmm... It should default to whatever you used last... If I create a new 96kHz file and then click new again, it will create another new (empty) 96kHz file. And, if I close GoldWave, the same settings remain when I restart GoldWave and select new again.

one irritating thing is that if I add say 9 wave files they always appear as

09.wav
01.wav
02.wav
(Sorry, I can't help with that one.)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

The file selection problem is a windows issue...when you select and drag for some reason it always puts the last file first...
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The current sampling rate for the File Merger tool will be remembered in the next update as well as the cue export setting.

Sorting probably won't be changed. You'll still need to click on the Name header to sort by name. Some people add files to the list in the order they want them to be joined and they may not know how to turn off sorting.

If you notice that files are not in the order you've selected them in the Add Files window, then that is a known problem with Windows (as mentioned here and here).

Chris
Keyser

Post by Keyser »

Thanks for the responses..

Look forward to the new release..

is the sorting issue with windows only with XP?

If yes then perhaps it's time to go either Vista or new one
tiendunn732

Post by tiendunn732 »

hey guys... could someone tell me how do i separate audio from video using some s/w?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Welcome to the forum!

BTW - Thanks for searching first, but you really should have started a new topic... "File Merging" is something different...

It probably depends on the format.... What format do you have? (It would be helpful if you know both formats.) Where did it come from?

Do you want to keep the audio, video, or both? I assume you want the audio, since GoldWave is an audio editor?

If the A/V file contains an audio format that GoldWave can handle, you can directly open the file in GoldWave and you'll have the audio. You can edit it, and then re-save it to a different file (in a different format, if you wish). For example, if you have an MPEG-2 file with LPCM audio, GoldWave can open it. On my system, I can open an MPEG file with AC3 (Dolby) audio, but AC3 is not built-into GoldWave.... I have several audio/video programs on my computer, and I don't know what AC3 CODEC GoldWave is using. I can't save an AC3 file from GoldWave.... I have to save in a different format.

I use Corel Video Studio ($60 USD) for video editing. With it I can open an audio/video file (in most formats) and I can save the audio & video separately in a variety of formats.

AoA Audio Extractor (FREE!!!) can extract the audio from an A/V file and convert it to a usable format.

SUPER (FREE!!!) is a universal audio/video converter, and it can extract the audio or video.

You can also find demultiplexing (or "demux") tools that can separate audio & video without converting it.
Memory King

Post by Memory King »

If you just want the audio, and don't intend to do anything with it, Pazera Free Audio Extractor should do the trick, just click "try extract original audio stream" when selecting the output format.

There's really no use in converting 128 kbps AAC or MP3 into FLAC, and a second lossy compression step is always undesirable. Therefore I find it quite strange that programs like this aren't more common.

But if you're going to do some serious editing on the audio track, opening the video in GoldWave should be sufficient in most cases, if you've got QuickTime or iTunes on your system.

Am fairly new to all this stuff, so feel free to improve on my suggestions.