compare an effect preview with the original sound

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Gord

compare an effect preview with the original sound

Post by Gord »

I think it would be handy to have the ability to easily compare the original sound with the sound preview in the effect dialogs. Maybe something like having [F4] preview the effect (as it does now) and [Shift-F4] play the unaltered sound. That way it would be easy to hear the difference and tweak the effect parameters accordingly.

Or, if there is already a way to accomplish that I'd appreciate hearing about it!
JackH

Re: compare an effect preview with the original sound

Post by JackH »

Gord wrote:Or, if there is already a way to accomplish that I'd appreciate hearing about it!
The regular play button lets you hear the original sound. I'm not sure if there's a way with the keyboard however.
Gord

Post by Gord »

By golly you're right! Thanks, Jack!
JackH

Post by JackH »

Gord wrote:By golly you're right! Thanks, Jack!
You are welcome. I think I found this out by mistake, when I used the regular button out of habit, and noticed it sounded different!

The only problem with this is it starts playing back at the beginning of the selection, which can make it tough to compare processed vs. unprocessed at the particular place you'd like to hear it. One of the other programs I use has a "Bypass" checkbox in the effect preview, which lets you switch back and forth any time, as the sound is playing, so you get a better idea of the changes the effect is making. This would make a nice addition to GoldWave.