GoldWave general discussions and community help
musicstuff

need lame?

Post by musicstuff »

Hi.. do I not need LAME anymore?
DewDude420

Re: need lame?

Post by DewDude420 »

You need LAME if you plan on encoding Layer-3 audio.

With that being said...if you have some sort of MP3 codec, Goldwave CAN use that to compress MP3, but the quality of the codecs tends to be far inferior to that of a recent lame build.

-Jay
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
that was my question before...how do you encode the files and export them to to your desktop?which brings me to the next question....when recording a record......you hit new then in the box you hit 55 in the lenth option?the record is a 78 and its
3 minates and 15 seconds.then u edit it then hit "save as"to name it..then what?i noted that i didnt see any datafiles for this
record in my documents.how do you encode them from wav to mp3 files then?i use audacity and nero once and they both us-
ed a lame encoder but nero had its own burner.if u responde to this thread please dont get too techie as im a newbie.thanks

coonsanders
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

coonsanders:

i've been looking at your questions and the biggest piece of advice I can offer is read the goldwave manual. most of the questions you are asking can and are answered in that document. the forums aren't really here to hold your hand through the simple tasks that are covered elsewhere. if you can't understand them, then we can help, but you NEED to understand some of what you're doing. you CANNOT do any serious audio work without a technical knowledge of what you're doing.

as far as saving mp3's.

on the file-save dialog box...at the bottom there's a file-type drop down. It is there that you select what format you want to save your audio in and the options button at the bottom of the box will allow you to choose various options for the format; like compression settings and bitrates and such.

the default save location for files is My Documents\My Music - check there. you can, naturally, change the location where the files are saved.

doing 78's to a digital format is by no means a simple task and while it is something that will motivate you to learn...it's entirely too big of a task for a newbie who doesn't really understand what's going on. like i said, read the manual, read some of the posts on this forum...a lot of this stuff we've gone over or we've given a lot of technical information on stuff...but i can only dumb down the tech stuff so much before it's lost entirely.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
o ok thanks,,,

lenny