control window

GoldWave general discussions and community help
coonsanders

control window

Post by coonsanders »

hi gang

on the wave editor theres a tools option...click on that and youll see as one of the listing "control".click on that and youll see
a "control window"i assume you can record with this..if so how..i didnt understand it from the manuel.thanks

coonsanders
DougDbug

Re: control window

Post by DougDbug »

1. Select the input to record from (i.e. Line-In, Microphone, etc.): Options -> Control Properties -> Volume. (Of course, you can also adjust the recording volume here.)

2. Create a new empty/silent file: File -> New.

3. On the Control Panel, click the red-round Record button, and you should be recording!

... I hope I didn't forget anything. If you have trouble, tell us what you are recording from. (And, you may find some more useful information in the GoldWave FAQ.)

Note - If you right-click on the Record button, you can change the option to "Unbounded". In that case it will ignore the time entered for the New file, and it will keep recording until you click the red-square Stop button.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi doug

actually i have a couple of questions...goldwave have a burner which means you need a seperate burner right?(just like audacity)also to avoid distortion i need to keep the vu meters out of the red right?when i look into the meters the red
isnt to red so its hard to see where it starts...is this right?

lenny
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

goldwave have a burner which means you need a seperate burner right?
Right. You need a separate burner program.
also to avoid distortion i need to keep the vu meters out of the red right?when i look into the meters the red
isnt to red so its hard to see where it starts...is this right?
Right. If you don't already have the "full" control window open, click Window -> Classic Control or Window -> Vertical Control. Then you can right-click on the "visual" to select a different "meter"... I normally use the "Analog Meter" option.

I also use a "trick" to check the levels after recording. If you click Effect -> Volume -> Maximize, GoldWave will read-through the file and it will report the peak level. If it tells me the peak is 0dB before maximizing, I assume the file is clipped (distorted) and I'll re-record at a lower level. (If you don't really want to maximize at this point, you can click "cancel".) After you Maximize the peaks will be exactly 0dB, so this "trick" only works before you actually maximize.)

BTW - I almost always maximize (AKA "normalize") before saving. GoldWave (like most audio editors) uses floating-point data for temporary processing/storage, so you can do something like boost the bass and temporarily go over 0dB. But, if you save a file that goes over 0dB, it will be clipped. In this situation, maximizing before you save will bring the peaks down to 0dB and will prevent clipping.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi

ill give it a look...o boy ...one more thing...i opened up the wave editor anhd opened up a song..the waves of the song seem to be only on the left side of the editor and not across to the other side how do i set this so itll reach the right side of the ed-
itor?thanks.

lenny
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You mean you can't see the end of the song? There is a scroll bar near the bottom of the window, and you can also click View -> All, or View -> Zoom Out, etc. There are also toolbar buttons that look like magnifying glasses for View All, View Selection, etc.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi doug...

the whole song is there but the waves are to the left side and its all "bunched up" for lack of a better discripition.in other words the enjd of the song doesnt reach the right side of the editor.the song is all bunched up on the left side.all of it.i
hope u get what i mean..

lenny
intoaudio

Post by intoaudio »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like your sound file has a lot of silence attached at the end of it. When you play the song, does Goldwave keep playing (and playing, and playing...) after the song is over? If so, you've got lots of useless silence. In that case, try left-clicking on a spot just after the end of the song and hit Delete. If you end up deleting part of the song (or all of it!) you can always click Undo (or press Ctrl+Z).
Again, please correct me, somebody, if I'm totally misunderstanding the issue at hand!
Gord

Post by Gord »

FWIW, that's what I suspected was the problem.
coonsanders

Post by coonsanders »

hi
i fixed this issue...thanks

lenny