i can't record from my cassette deck for some reason

GoldWave general discussions and community help
monkeyfight

i can't record from my cassette deck for some reason

Post by monkeyfight »

okay. i did this a few years ago on a different computer and everything went perfectly. now i don't know what's going wrong.

so now i'm trying to record my vinyl and cassettes from my stereo. i have a receiver, tape deck and record player with my receiver line out going into my sound card line in. i can record the radio in goldwave. i can record from the record player to goldwave. but for some reason i can't record my cassettes. there's no sound/signal coming through. but it doesn't make sense because the tape deck works through normal stereo speakers and everything else plugged in is able to record (tuner, turntable).

also, when i do record vinyl, the volume is very sensitive. i have to turn the master control volume in goldwave down to around 8 so it doesn't clip the sound. is that a sound card issue? any suggestions for that?

also, i can't hear any sound through my computer speakers. i see the playback visual with records or the tuner, but can't hear the stereo without external stereo speakers.

thanks for any help. i've been using goldwave for like 10 years and i still use it all the time for other editing stuff, but i haven't tried to record into it in about 6 or 7 years.

oh yeah, windows xp pro, service pack 2.
JackH

Re: i can't record from my cassette deck for some reason

Post by JackH »

If the tape deck is connected to the receiver's tape input, and your sound card is connected to the corresponding tape output on the reciever, what you are experiencing is normal -- the tape in/out conections are both designed to be connected to the same tape deck, and reciever won't send the tape deck's output to its input.

There are several possible solutions, but the simplest is to connect the tape deck's output directly to the sound card's line input. Another solution would be to connect the sound card to a different tape output, if your receiver has more than one. Still another solution would be to connect the tape deck to a diferent input on the reciever -- aux, CD, or anything but phono.

As for the level setting , it is odd that you have to set the level this low. Make sure you're using the line input on your sound card, not the microphone input. If this is the case, you're probably fine -- the idea with digital recording is to keep the levels below clipping; you can always adjust them as needed digitally, with GoldWave.

Finally, with regards to monitoring the signal on your computer, there is a setting in GoldWave that controls this. You'll find it in the "recording" tab of the control properties (Options menu).