Play/Pause in same button.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
aasheesh4you

Play/Pause in same button.

Post by aasheesh4you »

Hello experts,

I wish to quickly pause after fraction of play. If play button was working as pause while audio is playing,
I could have achieved that. However, its not the case. If I've to pause I've to hover the mouse cursor all the way to the pause button and that is time consuming. Use of hotkeys F4 and F7 could be workaround to this, but still it cannot give granularity with that of mouse click.

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Ashish
theshadowrunner

Re: Play/Pause in same button.

Post by theshadowrunner »

I second aasheesh4you's request.
Similarly I wish the "Stop" button was the same for stopping playback as for stopping recording. I just don't get why there are 2 "Stop" buttons, confusing.
And a way to reorganize the button's order as the user fees fit sure would be nice!
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

You need to use the Start Button to initiate playback. The Pause button not only stops, but also resumes playback. You can start and resume and start and resume playback as many times as you like using only the Pause Button.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave supports playing and recording simultaneously (in different files), so separate Stop buttons for playback and recording are necessary.

In addition to using the Pause button to both pause and resume playback as mentioned above, you can use the Options | Keyboard command to assign keys for playback, stop, pause, etc. There are functions (NavigationTogglePlay...) that allow you to use a single key to start/stop playback. If the associated playback button is set to play from the cursor, then hitting the key twice quickly will work exactly the way you need.

Chris
packzap

Post by packzap »

After upgrading to version 5.57 I lost the ability to toggle the play and pause functions with the space bar on the keyboard. I don't understand why the defaults change on upgrading? I remember this happening a year or so ago after an upgrade and spending a frustrating time trying to get the interface back to a familiar smooth operation.

Bringing up the Help menu for Keyboard commands in Goldwave says, "Space Plays or stops a sound (toggles playback)". However, that doesn't seem to be the case since upgrading. :roll: Anyone have any input about this?

Otherwise, I think i'm going to like the bigger icons and display readout on the toolbar (and other refinements), if I can just get GW to play right!
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

After upgrading to version 5.57 I lost the ability to toggle the play and pause functions with the space bar on the keyboard. I don't understand why the defaults change on upgrading? I remember this happening a year or so ago after an upgrade and spending a frustrating time trying to get the interface back to a familiar smooth operation.
You can find a discussion of this kind of thing Under General (topics) the thread Version 5.57.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3378
packzap

Post by packzap »

Grrrr.......... :evil:
OK after a frustrating time, here's how I reset the Goldwave playback functions back to toggle play & pause at the selection with the keyboard space bar.
1) Went to Options, Keyboard and clicked the defaults button. Clicked OK, closed and restarted Goldwave.
2 Went to Options, Control properties and set the "play 3" property to "selection".

This now starts and stops playback in Goldwave at the selection point in the sound window. This is the way I've been using Goldwave (and I thought the default way) for over ten years as a semi-power user. I've grown to use it this way as it seems to make it easy with edits, etc... I don't know if it's the best and easiest way to do things, but after using the space bar like this for so long, whenever the interface reverts back to something else, it's a major stumbling block to using this superb piece of software in an effective manner.

I feel much better now :mrgreen: and will probably have to come back here again after the next upgrade to remember how to get Goldwave back to the "correct" way.