Control Window

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Dcboard

Control Window

Post by Dcboard »

I have been using Goldwave to record and edit church services for several years and update the software with each new release. Since updating to the latest version (5.57) I have found some additional good tools for editing, however, it seems to be at the expense of screen space. I use the control window in the horizontal positon at the bottom of the screen. It takes up way to much space in this new release. Might be nice to read, but wastes space. I know you can resize it on one axis, but not on the other. I want to reduce heigth when in the horizontal position. Can it be done?

Thanks,
Don
donrandall

Re: Control Window

Post by donrandall »

I also configure Goldwave with the control window in the horizontal - I put it at the top of the screen.

I am wondering just why or how this becomes a problem for you. Is it because you want the tallest possible wave to work with when editing? Mono will give you a taller wave form to work with if that is the problem.

Are you recording in stereo - or are you recording in mono? If you are recording in stereo, is there any reason to do so instead of recording in mono?

If you must record in stereo, have you considered reconfiguring to "Classic Control"? Maximize your Main (or Work) Window and fill the screen, then size your control window so that it fits neatly out of the way in whatever position you decide is most suitable. Somewhere in the vicinity of the upper right corner of the screen looks to be the most likely spot.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Another option is to close the Control window and then use the Control toolbar. (The Control toolbar should automatically appear in the main window when the Control window is closed.)
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Hey Gord -

That's way cool - I never knowed about that before! I've always been quite happy with the way I chose to configure things for the past several years, but I just may stay with your suggestion.

Thanks!
Gord

Post by Gord »

You're most welcome, Don. I'm glad I could help out someone who devotes so much time to helping others here.

Cheers!
Dcboard

Post by Dcboard »

Actually, it's a bit more complex than it sounded originally. I use a digital mixer and feed the mixed signal to a computer with Goldwave recording. So to track the level of the input signal I am using the record lever meter at the bottom. I overlay the Studio Manager software from Yamaha on the screen to control the mix. With this new "Control Window" the size either causes me to cut the bottom of the mixer window or cover the input level meter. I just want to squarsh it down so I am only seeing the level meters and have access to the Record, Pause and stop buttons. nIt's begining to look like I may have revert back to a previous version for recording and use this version for playing and editing. Any other suggestions?
I hope my spelling is OK, I didn't see a spell checker on this.
Thanks!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Closing the Control window and having the level meters and buttons in GoldWave's tool bar takes up less space than the horizontal layout of the Control window. You can even re-arrange the locations of the level meters, buttons, and status visual in the tool bar. If you always use the keyboard to start playback and recording, you can hide the tool bar buttons under Options | Tool Bar, Control tab.

Chris
SusanK

Post by SusanK »

Gord wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:45 am
Another option is to close the Control window and then use the Control toolbar. (The Control toolbar should automatically appear in the main window when the Control window is closed.)
Thanks for this! I'd been using Goldwave for years, and just installed it on a new device and couldn't work out how to pin the Control toolbar to the main space.
happy!