Monitoring (hearing) USB Input

GoldWave general discussions and community help
glieb

Monitoring (hearing) USB Input

Post by glieb »

I am a new user evaluating Goldwave. I immediately noticed that while recording from my USB turntable, I cannot hear the audio. I read the FAQ which says that this is not possible because the USB and the sound card are not connected in any way. The workaround seems to be to enable PLAY while recording. This seems rather clumsy. I should point out that in another program I use, Cakewalk's Audio Editor, it IS possible to actually HEAR what is being recorded (from USB) by pressing a MONITOR button on the editor's control panel. So it IS posslble in OTHER programs. The logic improvement to the program would be to rework the CONTROL PROPERTIES--RECORD tab so that when MONITOR INPUT is checked, it also sends audio to the sound card. I know that from a software coder's view there is probably more to it, but that is the functionality it should have.
Tristan

Re: Monitoring (hearing) USB Input

Post by Tristan »

I just use a small project board for monitoring. It cost me about $35. I also have a turntable that has analog outs that can be hooked up to a board.

I would never do real-time monitoring using the complex signal path of the computer, unless I was playing back a digital audio file, in which case using the computer for monitoring would be unavoidable. The more complex the signal path the greater the chance of distortion, and the computer presents a highly complex signal path, complete with gremlin-friendly software to make things even more interesting.

BTW, GoldWave gives Sony's Sound Forge a run for its money. The consumer-level stuff that Cakewalk sells isn't even in the same league as GoldWave.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

GoldWave gives Sony's Sound Forge a run for its money.
I tried out Sound Forge for a while (the lite version). I dumped it, I didn't like it. Goldwave did not give it a run - it ran over it and crushed it. It wasn't even close.

Another voice talent came to my home studio one day a while back so that we could both voice our parts in the same room with no variation in sound due to variations in room "tone".

She looked at Goldwave and asked a very few questions and was able to use it immediately - unlike the Sound Forge she had in her home studio. She bought Goldwave and has given up on Sound Forge. By the way, I have had others send their voice tracks to me for clean up when they were not able to get satisfactory results (basic low level "room tone", but an air conditioner hum in one recent track that I was able to fix) with Sound Forge.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

GoldWave gives Sony's Sound Forge a run for its money.
I tried out Sound Forge for a while (the lite version). I dumped it, I didn't like it. Goldwave did not give it a run - it ran over it and crushed it. It wasn't even close.

Another voice talent came to my home studio one day a while back so that we could both voice our parts in the same room with no variation in sound due to variations in room "tone".

She looked at Goldwave and asked a very few questions and was able to use it immediately - unlike the Sound Forge she had in her home studio. She bought Goldwave and has given up on Sound Forge. By the way, I have had others send their voice tracks to me for clean up when they were not able to get satisfactory results (basic low level "room tone", but an air conditioner hum in one recent track that I was able to fix) with Sound Forge.