distortion on a cd

GoldWave general discussions and community help
coonsanders

distortion on a cd

Post by coonsanders »

hi
i made a cd of jack teagarden but when playing it on a cd player and turned it up i heard distortion on the cd..heres what i
did...caputrured it with neros wave editor then i used click repair then i used soundsoap then i used goldwave..the result was this distortion on the cd when i turned up the volume on the cd player..why would this happen?im on windows 7 64 bits
thanks..

lenny
DewDude420

Re: distortion on a cd

Post by DewDude420 »

Ok...wait wait. I'm missing a few things:

A) what was the actual source?
B) id the distorted cd a cd-r or original cd
C) if b is cd-r, see a unless you accounted for that
D) why'd you run all that extra crap?

If it wasn't distorted before the work, then your processing messed something up. Click pop when over used causes distortion.

I don't know anything about nero editor or soundsoap.

I'd need to know as much about the path of the audio....mostly why you did processing.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Yeah... That's a lot of processing steps and we can't guess where the distortion crept-in. You need to go back through a process of elimination to discover where the distortion happened. Its unlikely that it happened when you burned the CD. Did you listen after each step? Did you keep any intermediate files?

Is the sound system connected to your CD player better than your computer speakers? I'm thinking you didn't notice the distortion 'till you burned the CD and played it on a different system.

How would you discribe the distortion? Do you hear it during loud parts? During quiet parts?

Other than the analog source itself ( I assume this is vinyl since you used Click Repair), the most common type of distortion is clipping, which happens when you try to go too loud. This can happen from recording too loud, from boosting the volume (in GoldWave or Nero) or from boosting with the Equalizer (in GoldWave or Nero).

But, Click Repair and Sound Soap are also altering the waveform and are potential sources of distortion. I don't have either of these programs, but noise reduction can result in artifacts (non-musical digital-noise). Was it really necessary to use both of these?

P.S.
I always advise people to buy the CD! (If it's available.) I've been working on digitizing a couple of LPs over the last couple of weekends, and it's taking me a few hours per track with Wave Repair in the manual mode. The advantage of Wave Repair is that it doesn't touch the audio except where you identify clicks & pops. And, then you have a choice of several different repair methods. It generally does an amazing job. But there are defects that it can't fix, and although the results are amazing I don't usually quite achieve "CD quality".
Gord

Post by Gord »

Pop/Click repair can introduce distortion if applied too aggressively. From the GoldWave Manual:

"Using a very low [Pop/Click tolerance] setting may introduce more distortion than existed in the original. This is most noticeable in voice recordings and instrument solos, particularly trumpet solos."

As Jack Teagarden was a trombonist, it could very well be more noticeable on his recordings as well.

When I first started digitizing my vinyl LPs I routinely ran a Pop/Click pass (default settings) over the entire side of the album. Later I noticed that particular sounds, especially overdriven twangy guitar sounds, were degraded by that approach.

So now I only apply Pop/Click repair to a noticeable defect. That's why I suggested a marking option for the Pop/Click tool in another post. I do most of my listening while I am doing other things (especially driving) so sometimes I don't listen as closely as I might, and sometimes I notice a pop but I don't always make a note to go back and fix it.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to save my raw "recordings" as FLAC files, so I can always go back and re-process my earlier efforts without the blanket Pop/Click pass. I just need to find the time....
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Trombone? That explains it.

One thing you need to remember is that click removal tools generally as just looking for spefic waveform shapes. When you have a brass insturment, the very nature is going to cause transients. My usual click tool actually has musical transient rejection.

Since I haven't heard what the distoriton is. But having lots of brass tells me its the click repair at the lease.